• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Late Christmas present

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Hi all,
My friendly gun dealer messaged me over Christmas, 'Is your postal address still the same?'
Well this arrived today OMG I will be busy for a while.... Hundreds of cases all usable calibers and a broken stock...

Attachments

• IMG_20230110_130202.jpg
    IMG_20230110_130202.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 22

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
@Bill Mooney .....those mandrels and press for sale on here, would they be any use to your blind veterans center??
If there still up for grabs

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Very nice Mark!

I know nothing about guns but that stock looks lovely, what wood is it made from?

Cheers
Ash

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Very nice Mark!

I know nothing about guns but that stock looks lovely, what wood is it made from?

Cheers
Ash
Hi Ash,
Shotgun stocks are generally made from Walnut, some blanks can cost upwards of 1k before they are even worked upon... This is a good Berreta one.
Other woods I have seen include Maple, Beech and laminated blanks. I have also come across pallet Wood that has had a transfer applied and then thickly varnished.
You need to be precise when cutting these up due to fixing holes through them, but the wood can be stunning 😍

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Hi Ash,
Shotgun stocks are generally made from Walnut, some blanks can cost upwards of 1k before they are even worked upon... This is a good Berreta one.
Other woods I have seen include Maple, Beech and laminated blanks. I have also come across pallet Wood that has had a transfer applied and then thickly varnished.
You need to be precise when cutting these up due to fixing holes through them, but the wood can be stunning 😍
Oh I see. I’m sure you’ll get some cracking pens out if it!
I think I’m joining my shooting club in the morning 😂😂

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
You did well there Mark.
Hmm you have got me thinking I have a couple of stocks taken off old guns that have been stood in the corner for years. May be its time to cut them up and see how they look after turning them into pen blanks.

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
Very lucky can't get these in NI. ESPECIALLY through the post..
Haven't been lucky enough to be able to make a bullet pen yet.. don't know where to get 7.62 calibre casings locally...

Tom

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).