• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Mucking about with shaving brushes

Heykid41

First Name
Scott
A brother of mine bought about 40 knots from someone who turned and sold brushes. He gifted them to me. I used stabilized maple and just hacked away, not knowing what I was really doing. Turns out red stabilized maple is pretty but reminded my wife of blood… so… I tried again with plain maple. Neither knot is glued in yet… as I said, this was the first. It made me think of the Stanley Cup! So…. I’m learning!
IMG_7390.jpeg
IMG_7377.jpeg

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
I've never made one, and cannot even remember the last time that I used one.
I'm about to get my electric one out.
Saying that...there seems to be a market for shaving brushes now.

Heykid41

First Name
Scott
Very nice, how do they feel in the hand? That's the important bit...I was fortunate to be able to replicate designs I used with mine....well done! :thumbs:
The Stanley Cup shape is too large… so I’ve reduced it and refined it and it’s ‘fair-skookum’ now. This one of yours is FANTASTIC!

billsr

Registered
First Name
Bill
A brother of mine bought about 40 knots from someone who turned and sold brushes. He gifted them to me. I used stabilized maple and just hacked away, not knowing what I was really doing. Turns out red stabilized maple is pretty but reminded my wife of blood… so… I tried again with plain maple. Neither knot is glued in yet… as I said, this was the first. It made me think of the Stanley Cup! So…. I’m learning!
View attachment 52082
View attachment 52081
Both are beautiful