• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My first pen(cil)

talkinghorseradish

Apprentice Member
First Name
S
This is my first pen(cil) turned. I can't find any local mechanism supplier yet and it take times for international shipping to arrive, so I take the innards of my Pentel Orenz (great mechanism) and decide to use its mechanism in my first turning project. I don't have any particular design in mind and just go on with it and adjust as needed based on tooling and resource available. I have very little experience working with wood and not so proper tooling (I mainly use aluminum carbide insert on a metal lathe for this project) so the finish quality has a lot of room for improvement. The clip is the roughest part but I have the most fun working on it. The wood I use seems to be Siamese rosewood. I really like the feeling of the wood in my hand so I intend to wax it rather than try CA finish it (maybe in the next project when I have a proper setup).
IMG_0324.JPEG
IMG_0326.JPEG

talkinghorseradish

Apprentice Member
First Name
S
Thanks! I feel like I learn a lot from this project. There is some balancing problem as it is a bit top heavy as I forgot to take this in the consideration when making the top brass section. Looking forward to the next project now.