• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pen Finishing anyone tried UV resin?

Paul-H

First Name
Paul
Hi all

Being new to pen turning I have been trying to settle on a method of finish, I am ok with the acrylic pens and get a nice glass like glossy finish without any issues, it the wood pens I am not yet happy with, I have tried some of the Common finishes all with varying degrees of satisfaction, I have sofar tried Friction polish, Melamine polish, CA and canubia wax.

Of those I prefer the finish I get with CA but still looking for other options before I settle on one to try and perfect.

So to the point of this post, has anyone tried using UV setting resin as a finish, what are your thoughts, any good or rubbish.

Thanks for any input with this.

Paul

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
I too haven't tried UV.... But can admit to trying most thing over the years... With timber I still prefer to 'feel' the wood so very rarely do CA or 'high' gloss finish as a personal choice.... Currently I choose between about 4 different liquid finishes 🤔🤔🤔

Delzerz

Apprentice Member
First Name
Derek
I’m not a ‘gloss’ fan either. On Acrylics or hybrids, yes. But for a wooden pen I don’t see the point. Preferred finish is either sealer / friction polish, or Melamine laquer (the latter being a slow build process over two days).

Hallelujahal

Graduate Member
First Name
Alex
I’ve tried Alumilite UV resin as a finish…with no success at all so far…I need to find a way of applying a very thin layer or get a whacking great big UV lamp!🤪