• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Secret sauce?

Hallelujahal

Graduate Member
First Name
Alex
So just wondering how you guys finish your acrylic blanks? Do you have a secret sauce that you can share?
I’m afraid my method so far has been to turn and the simply finish by working my way through the grits till I get micromeshable then take it up to 12000. However I don’t use a polish as I wouldn’t know what to use? What do you kind folk use?

Paul-H

First Name
Paul
I'm the same as you but finish with a 1 micron plastic polish or Simichrome polish.

Paul

MikeC

First Name
Michael Cowling
Micromesh and then Yorkshire Grit.
BUT I won't be using that when my pot is empty. It has been sold to a Company in the USA and the price in the UK has increased dramatically.
I'll try Machine Mart

Mike

MikeC

First Name
Michael Cowling
After sanding I used to switch to Farcla 200 which is a paint/bodyshop buffing polish, then 500....now I use Machine Marts version as I have a shop in walking distance and tbh it's just as good
I see that Machine Mart do a course, medium and fine in the same product. Which do you use, or do you go through the grades on that for the best finish that you can see your face in?

Mike

His Nibs

First Name
Richard
After going through the grades of micro-mesh I use Axminster Woodturning Acrylic Polish. Part Number: 105761 In my opinion really good stuff, especially on Diamond Cast blanks.

Richard

jrista

First Name
Jon
So just wondering how you guys finish your acrylic blanks? Do you have a secret sauce that you can share?
I’m afraid my method so far has been to turn and the simply finish by working my way through the grits till I get micromeshable then take it up to 12000. However I don’t use a polish as I wouldn’t know what to use? What do you kind folk use?

I switched to using Zona Paper, which goes down to 1 micron grit (which is way up there, something like 20000 or so). I polish with a few higher grit polishes, and have been learning how to buff (which, in the end, I think is the real trick...seems if you can really learn how to buff, it'll get you the best resin finish in the end....its definitely a skill though.)

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Whatever method you use, just check that your next step in the process is not a backward one. Micromesh 12000 sands to 1 micron. If you've gone to all the trouble of getting that far with abrasives, you need to be certain that any liquids or compounds you subsequently apply are not going to be coarser. Many of them are.

Just saying. :winking:

MikeC

First Name
Michael Cowling
Whatever method you use, just check that your next step in the process is not a backward one. Micromesh 12000 sands to 1 micron. If you've gone to all the trouble of getting that far with abrasives, you need to be certain that any liquids or compounds you subsequently apply are not going to be coarser. Many of them are.

Just saying. :winking:
Thanks Phil
Is there any way you could tell from the bottle?
I’ve just looked and I can’t see anything
Mike

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Thanks Phil
Is there any way you could tell from the bottle?
I’ve just looked and I can’t see anything
Mike
Err, not usually, as far as I know. I can tell you though that Yorkshire Grit, which you mentioned above, and all other compounds of the same ilk, only abrade to the equivalent of about 1000 grit. That's similar to Micromewsh 2400, so if you've gone to the trouble of reaching Micromesh 12000, Yorkshire Grit represents several backward steps.

I have to say that it would be difficult to improve on the finish you get from MM12000, and unless you're going to study it under a laboratory microscope, why would anyone need to? A bit of microcrystalline to keep the fingerprints off and the job is done.

I don't even go that far. I sand to 1200 with dry, standard abrasives, then I use Liberon 0000 steel wool, and then Chestnut burnishing cream. I've done it all sorts of ways in the past, and frankly it's difficult to tell the difference with the naked eye, so now I take the easy route I've just described.

However, I emphasie the Liberon part. There is no standard when it comes to steel wool grades and some manufacturers' idea of 0000 is only good for cleaning the cooker. Liberon is ultra-fine, and is the finest I've ever found.

MikeC

First Name
Michael Cowling
Err, not usually, as far as I know. I can tell you though that Yorkshire Grit, which you mentioned above, and all other compounds of the same ilk, only abrade to the equivalent of about 1000 grit. That's similar to Micromewsh 2400, so if you've gone to the trouble of reaching Micromesh 12000, Yorkshire Grit represents several backward steps.

I have to say that it would be difficult to improve on the finish you get from MM12000, and unless you're going to study it under a laboratory microscope, why would anyone need to? A bit of microcrystalline to keep the fingerprints off and the job is done.

I don't even go that far. I sand to 1200 with dry, standard abrasives, then I use Liberon 0000 steel wool, and then Chestnut burnishing cream. I've done it all sorts of ways in the past, and frankly it's difficult to tell the difference with the naked eye, so now I take the easy route I've just described.

However, I emphasie the Liberon part. There is no standard when it comes to steel wool grades and some manufacturers' idea of 0000 is only good for cleaning the cooker. Liberon is ultra-fine, and is the finest I've ever found.
Thanks Phil
That’s dispelled a few myths!!
Mike