• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Solid Aluminium

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
Very nice well done made a few of them in me time you will find the copper is the hardest to turn on a wood lathe

Paul-H

First Name
Paul
Nice pens but just wait for your fingers to turn black, they do need a coat of lacquer to keep the shine and protect your fingers

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
Apparently MILK is an excellent lubricant when turning Copper. No I have not tried it but an extremely experience model engineer I know has and another verified it recently to me.

How you cope with smell as it goes off afterwards was then hotly discussed. The general view bupeing it was no worse than “white suds “ coolant that has been left a few weeks , Again I dont know as I use coolant diluted with paraffin in my mill

Curly

Graduate Member
First Name
Peter
Wood that be whole milk, 2% or skim? :chuckle:

Given that tallow, lard and other fats were commonly use for machining back in the day, whole milk with its cream in it would have been used too.

Gadget-UK do you remember what alloy the aluminium was?

Pete

Gadget-UK

Graduate Member
First Name
Colin

Given that tallow, lard and other fats were commonly use for machining back in the day, whole milk with its cream in it would have been used too.

Pete
No Idea Peter. Just a bar of Aluminium to me I am afraid.
No details with it :scratch_head:

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian

Pete
Full fat I believe , or that’s what they used in the coffee afterwards they assured me.

probably best fir their health there were no scones around or they’d have tried cream ( or that’s what wives would be told anyway 😇

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Ooh , I like those Colin, especially the chrome one.
I've never used metal for a kit pen body. All the advice about the need for lacquer - would not microcrystaline wax do the job? (asking for a friend)

Gadget-UK

Graduate Member
First Name
Colin
They look spot on Colin. I’ve made a few and they look good with a gold kit. If you heat your copper then quench it in water it should soften it so it will work easier.
View attachment 51122
They are a pair of stunners Bill :love_it:
I do have two more sections of the Aluminium Bar left so I think Gold will be the next choice :thinks:

Thank You :thumbs: