• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Using CA (Superglue) as a finish

DuncSuss

First Name
Duncan
Thanks for that; I've just been on the dog n'bone to the techno weenies at Ax and sorted out a suitable JSP half face respirator with appropriate filters (103083 if interested) - Rob
Unless I landed on a different product page, that one seemed to be particulate (which I'd call "dust") only. I think it was the ABEK-2 model that did the full monty - dust, organic volatiles, and inorganic volatiles. The filters I use are rated to block dust ad volatile organics, they eliminate the fumes from CA completely.

Of course, if I'm leaning over the lathe bed and the fumes get in my eyes, it doesn't make much difference what I keep out of my nose!

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Just a side note on fumes when using the CA finish when I do use CA I have my extractor unit set up so the suction inlet is near the work and a pipe on the exhaust out of the door this pulls all the fumes out to fresh air.
This is only any good depends on the extractor used

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
I’ve had mixed results using. Ca is so I use melamine or acrylic lacquer as a finish using Phil Dart’s method.
Before you assemble your pens always run a small round file inside the ends of the brass tubes to remove any burrs from the inside of the tubes.

Rob Stoakley

First Name
Rob
Pen turning with a CA finish now on the back burner until I get hold of a half face respirator + cartridges from Ax. This afternoon though, I found some gash bits of 15mm nylon round stuff and made a couple of non-stick bushes for CA finishing. I tried them out on a Bubinga blank prepped with a tube already glued in place and they worked a treat on the mandrel. I also found some really fine (9, 5, 3 & 1 micron) 3M scary sharp films (now surplus) for finishing off the polished blanks once the CA has been applied - Rob