Pear wood

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Pear wood

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Anthony
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Dart View Post
    A nice pen and a nice windfall Tony.

    You used to be able to buy steamed pear wood but I've not seen any recently. The steaming makes it more pink. I've not tried it but I've always wondered what would happen if I steamed a piece in a cooking steamer (apart from annoying my wife, obviously)
    I read about that somewhere, when I get some more I'd like to try it, none of my waste wood from turning known woods, pear, ash oak etc. get thrown away as a friend of mine uses it in his smoker - he & his wife fed me some oak smoked salmon (oak from a bowl I'd turned) last week - very nice indeed.

    Regards
    Tony

    'Let each man exercise the art he knows' - Aristopanes

     
     
  2. Likes alan morrison, Garno liked this post
  3. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Colebrooke, Devon
    Posts
    4,759
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Phil
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyMilner View Post
    I read about that somewhere, when I get some more I'd like to try it, none of my waste wood from turning known woods, pear, ash oak etc. get thrown away as a friend of mine uses it in his smoker - he & his wife fed me some oak smoked salmon (oak from a bowl I'd turned) last week - very nice indeed.
    Yummy Yummy.

    When I lived in Scotland I used to turn pens from whisky casks. I kept as much of the shavings as possible and used it for smoking fish on the BBQ.
    www.beaufortink.co.uk
    Beaufort Ink on Facebook | Beaufort Ink on Instagram
    Top quality nibs, inks and refills, pen kits, tools and supplies for discerning pen enthusiasts and makers.
    Agents for Bock nibs.
    Specialist supplies for kitless pens and custom pen makers.

     
     
  4. Thanks TonyMilner thanked for this post
  5. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    115
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Anthony
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Dart View Post
    Yummy Yummy.

    When I lived in Scotland I used to turn pens from whisky casks. I kept as much of the shavings as possible and used it for smoking fish on the BBQ.
    Yes that's what my friend did he has s smoker box thing that sits in the BBQ & smokes the fish only so he can do the veggies etc. at the same time, nce I've presented him with the pear shavings I may get another invite
    Regards
    Tony

    'Let each man exercise the art he knows' - Aristopanes

     
     
  6. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Rhigos, South Wales
    Posts
    762
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kelvin
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will we be seeing a pair from this pear tree in the future.
    Kelvin

     
     
  7. Groan Garno groaned at this post
  8. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
    Posts
    22,550
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pittswood View Post
    Will we be seeing a pair from this pear tree in the future.
    Kelvin
    Looks like he wants to see your pair Tony.

    COOPER 01/08/1998-31/01/2012

     
     
  9. #16
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Canberra AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    24,348
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So much experimenting is great,I prefer predictability and grain.Good on you having a go.
    Nil Desperandum

     
     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •