• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A Proper Owl.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Meet Rosy, a female European Eagle Owl weighing in a 7lb 7oz. Unfortunately she's not mine... yet!

Attachments

• rosy2.jpg
    rosy2.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 50

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Hell fire I didn't think she'd be able to take stuff that big, just goes to show the power in something that beautiful.

I'm envious, I've always to fly birds like that just for the experience.

On my bucket list.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Hell fire I didn't think she'd be able to take stuff that big, just goes to show the power in something that beautiful.

I'm envious, I've always to fly birds like that just for the experience.

On my bucket list.

Phil, birds get the title eagle because of the power in their talons and if they have over 1000ft/lbs in their talons then they qualify. I had a Bengal Eagle owl which was just over a kilo and extremely powerful but this bird, even with an eagle glove on which is 3 layers thick shows you how powerful she is without trying, just when getting a grip. If it wanted to squeeze, I would certainly feel it.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Neat family portrait the saying you get to look like your pets is true.

Peter.:thumbs:

Or....

Are you referring to the fact that I've got more chins than a Chinese telephone directory? :funny::funny::funny::funny:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Absolutely stunning bird is our Rosy..... but I wouldn't want to buy a car off the fella holdin' her :whistling::whistling:

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Well all the guys have said it, Paul - she's a beautiful creature! All the local cats and dogs are heading off for pastures new, methinks!

Bob.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
It's obvious you've fallen in love big time but she's either playing hard to get or giving you "the bird":wink:

She's absolutely beautiful.

Just the guy to ask a quick question Paul. Do owls have cast iron heads?
We've got a healthy tawny population and one of them flew into our kitchen window a few nights back. It was a helluva bang and a full wingspan imprint on the glass but the owl was no-where to be found so clearly unaffected.

Bob

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
It's obvious you've fallen in love big time but she's either playing hard to get or giving you "the bird":wink:

She's absolutely beautiful.

Just the guy to ask a quick question Paul. Do owls have cast iron heads?
We've got a healthy tawny population and one of them flew into our kitchen window a few nights back. It was a helluva bang and a full wingspan imprint on the glass but the owl was no-where to be found so clearly unaffected.

Bob

They don't really Bob, in fact they're not that hardy so it was lucky to get away. Their heads are very small compared to what it looks like, for instance a barn owl has a skull the size of a golf ball and over 90% of that is filled with eyes and very little brain... which is why the move their heads and not their eyes. Tawny's are funny owls, if you find one, it'll just play dead. turn your back and its gone.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).