• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Light tent up and running

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
My new lights arrived this morning so I am ready to start messing around now the question is do I need a third light come on all you experts please I have just noticed a small tool mark that I missed before oh well LOL
DSCF2717.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF2711.JPG
    DSCF2711.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF2712.JPG
    DSCF2712.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF2714.JPG
    DSCF2714.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCF2716.JPG
    DSCF2716.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 56

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Them thar foties look the dogs danglies (second ones a bit out of focus though)..and the subject looks half straight too !!! Done a good job there sir.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Them thar foties look the dogs danglies (second ones a bit out of focus though)..and the subject looks half straight too !!! Done a good job there sir.

Waiting for me tripod to be delivered Ed and saving for a new camera He he he

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Well dad I don't no photographer as you well know init?
But I do know what I like to see and I don't dislike any of those pics.
As Terry says I am sure Peter or Paul will put you wise and me, cos I read a little tip that using one of those little multi led lights at the bottom can remove unwanted shadows and was gonna try it on my next pics.
Your soon gonna put all the professionals out of business init?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I must admit it was easer to just stick the box in the tent rather than trying to find the best way and place to take the photo it will remain set up in the garage so no setting up each time

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
The presentation is superb Woody but if you're looking for perfection there are a few things that I would change. I wouldn't go for a third light personally and would like to have some shadow like you have in the 2nd to last photo otherwise it might start to look like its floating (although I might be talking out of my aris here). The depth of field isn't fantastic either so as your camera is a point and shoot then just go back a meter or so to get the shot.

I think that now you need to do some editing to get the levels correct and also do some cutting to frame it if you stand back further.

This may all be contradicted by someone who really knows, but its what I would do.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Thanks Peter I do stand about 1Mt away and then crop the photos thanks for the tip on the 3rd light I'm hoping to get a new camera for my birthday well I have dropped enough hints LOL only time will tell

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
With your set up Woody I would go definitely have a third light, I only use 1 light in mine albeit that is flash, but however many lights you use you still need to position them correctly. Assuming that the light you have are the same wattage you can see from the shadows that they are not place the same. You also need some kind of infinity background if you are going to put larger item in there, but that could be paper, vinyl or preferably something like melamine sheet, I know there are photographic suppliers who can do one, but they will be ridiculously expensive, I will have a look around and see if I can find anything suitable. When you get your tripod it will slow you down and help you position the subject so that you come to use the same angles instead of bending your knees to try and get it right.

Peter

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
Great job there Woody, with photos that good, its a good job your objects are well finished because you will show up every little imperfection :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

So, good job your perfick :banana::banana::banana:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
With your set up Woody I would go definitely have a third light, I only use 1 light in mine albeit that is flash, but however many lights you use you still need to position them correctly. Assuming that the light you have are the same wattage you can see from the shadows that they are not place the same. You also need some kind of infinity background if you are going to put larger item in there, but that could be paper, vinyl or preferably something like melamine sheet, I know there are photographic suppliers who can do one, but they will be ridiculously expensive, I will have a look around and see if I can find anything suitable. When you get your tripod it will slow you down and help you position the subject so that you come to use the same angles instead of bending your knees to try and get it right.

Peter

Keep me posted on this one please Peter !!!!

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
This is the type of material I was suggesting for the background the only problem is it is currently unavailable in white.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The good thing about the plastic sheet is that it will produce a nice curve without creases and is very easy to clean and as long as it isn't kinked it will last a lifetime. I know there are other materials that are suitable, I just can't remember the names of them, when I do I will post it. The plastic sheets are probably 2mm thick they can roll up into quite a tight roll if you are careful with them.

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I have some 1mm thick polyprop in black, gold or grey, gloss one side flat matt the other.
1 Metre wide on 500Metre rolls.
I'll let that go at less than half price £2,00 per linear Metre +P&P
It is old stock so I don't guarantee the quality anymore.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Brian, you may be sat on a small gold mine. Is it thick enough to handle without creasing it? 1m wide x 1.4m sells for about £17.00 if it is what I think it is, it depends how hardy it is at 1mm.

Black and grey is great for photographers as is being gloss and matt, the gold could possibly be used for reflectors for the portrait photographers.

Even at £4.00 per metre it is cheap and you shouldn't make a loss on it.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).