• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Stephen Sutton R.I.P.

scouseroy

Graduate Member
First Name
Roy
Guys as I'm sure you have all read or heard the Sad news of the death of Stephen Sutton this morning, Stephen was aged 19 and died after a battle with Cancer he raised over 3 million for Teenage Cancer Trust.
This got me thinking!!
I know what a generous bunch you are ,I was thinking if we each donated 1 pen each and sold it, on ebay perhaps ? and donated to the fund we could raise a fair old sum between us ,
Would anyone be willing to help organise this with me?
Cancer patient and fundraiser Stephen Sutton dies - ITV News

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I would willingly donate a pen but it should all be done from a single source, perhaps we should send the pens to you?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I'm happy to donate a pen but have you looked to see just how much they go fore on ebay some just about recoup the cost of a kit

scouseroy

Graduate Member
First Name
Roy
I was wondering how we could do it? my other thought was could it be done like a bring and buy sale on line?? any suggestions?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
A few years ago I was selling George cross sierra pens and that was a struggle to raise just £400 and all the kits were donated but I would be willing to donate a pen every month

scouseroy

Graduate Member
First Name
Roy
I'm thinking then that Ebay perhaps isn't the best place for anything charitable, I'm away for a week and a bit after today,I will give it some thought how it could be done, but if anyone has any ideas ???

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Dunno how you're gonna make that work, we might as well make a donation ourselves through paypal and have done with it.
We all have our own charities and things close to our hearts we donate to anyway.
We have all lost someone dear to us and do or done our bit.
I don't want to appear harsh and wish you well I would willingly send a pen to the organizer but I don't think eBay is the place for it.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Our local shop keeper had a son with a terminal illness and he used to hold a dinner dance with a local entertainer or a guest speaker in the community hall.
These became regular events and there would always be a fund raising raffle and auction.
We are a poor bunch around here but looked forward to these evenings, they became a big success and raised a substantial amount of money with regular donations etc.
I would always put a pen or a set into the auction and bid on it myself to raise the stakes, thankfully I never had to buy my pen back.
Unless somebody is willing to take this on and hold some sort of event to sell them it's a hard one, maybe as Paul suggests, send them direct to cancer research and they could sell them.
I am also dubious of these so called charities they are big business and think they should be made answerable to where the money goes.
Look at the link you show that's no poor charity that needs donations, that's a commercial enterprise selling premade stock living on a charity name.
I bet the director has a big house, wage and car to match. A high maintenance family and he won't be alone in his plush offices while people give their few pennies that they can ill afford.
In my job search I have been offered £14 per hour to knock on doors and collect for charity, how much do they think I am gonna raise? I won't get that much knocking the doors where I live.
I have been to some of these offices in my previous job and seen how they perform. Cynical bar steward ain't I?
Remember when Iceland banks went broke OXFAM were up in arms because they had some £600 million tucked away there avoiding taxes, while they show adverts of starving kids, that money should have been distributed instead of hidden.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Another thought, I remember George saying he was not registered to collect funds for H4H so could I make it direct to them, and whenever he did his doe's always made sure there were the appropriate people present to collect. So I think that could be another stumbling block you may encounter..

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Our local shop keeper had a son with a terminal illness and he used to hold a dinner dance with a local entertainer or a guest speaker in the community hall.
These became regular events and there would always be a fund raising raffle and auction.
We are a poor bunch around here but looked forward to these evenings, they became a big success and raised a substantial amount of money with regular donations etc.
I would always put a pen or a set into the auction and bid on it myself to raise the stakes, thankfully I never had to buy my pen back.
Unless somebody is willing to take this on and hold some sort of event to sell them it's a hard one, maybe as Paul suggests, send them direct to cancer research and they could sell them.
I am also dubious of these so called charities they are big business and think they should be made answerable to where the money goes.
Look at the link you show that's no poor charity that needs donations, that's a commercial enterprise selling premade stock living on a charity name.
I bet the director has a big house, wage and car to match. A high maintenance family and he won't be alone in his plush offices while people give their few pennies that they can ill afford.
In my job search I have been offered £14 per hour to knock on doors and collect for charity, how much do they think I am gonna raise? I won't get that much knocking the doors where I live.
I have been to some of these offices in my previous job and seen how they perform. Cynical bar steward ain't I?
Remember when Iceland banks went broke OXFAM were up in arms because they had some £600 million tucked away there avoiding taxes, while they show adverts of starving kids, that money should have been distributed instead of hidden.

I know where you're coming from and charities are a well known tax fiddle and its so easy make a charity that it would be easy not to give. These rich cats prey on the heart strings of others and make a fortune but without them a lot of things, that should happen anyway just won't. My daughter was diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 3 so I did a lot of stuff for diabetes as you can imagine. Once I took a cheque for £1400 to the local directors house after a few months fundraising. It was raining and I was chuffed to raise that money. He opened the door, said thank you and shut the door in my face. It took 3 months to get a letter acknowledging the money. I didn't do it for recognition but this was something else.

scouseroy

Graduate Member
First Name
Roy
Hmmm its all a bit of tangled web isn't it, it seemed such a simple thing when it first came into my mind, as they always do :bwink: I will give it some thought while I'm on my Holidays ,I might contact the charity direct they might be able to suggest something?

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Hmmm its all a bit of tangled web isn't it, it seemed such a simple thing when it first came into my mind, as they always do :bwink: I will give it some thought while I'm on my Holidays ,I might contact the charity direct they might be able to suggest something?

Good idea Roy but like a lot of things very difficult to fulfil. Have a good holiday, where are you going?

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
Wish I had the answers Roy, but, like Brian, I am extremely careful where my money/donations go as there are so many rip-off merchants around. I'd gladly donate a pen but as I don't actively sell many, I couldn't guarantee donating the proceeds anyway. I'm sure a lot of other forum members are in the same boat, so they would have to be sent/collected to be sold together, ie in a charity shop.

Anyway, have a good holiday mate and we'll look forward to some inspiring suggestions when you get back.

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
I'd gladly donate a pen and same as what Dave has just said, hope it can be sorted as it's a good idea from Roy, have a good holiday mate!:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).