• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Stephen Sutton R.I.P.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
We have Hired a boat on the Norfolk Broads for a week :banana: looking forward to a bit of R+R...... and beer lol

Enjoy it Roy and if you have to go under Potter Heigham bridge do it at full speed if the tide is behind you - the number of people who dont and end up stuck across the bridge arch is a source of constant amusement for the locals.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Giving to charity is a very personal thing, we all have our favourites, either because they are associated with something that we have done in our lives or, with regard to medical charities, because someone who we know or love has suffered or died as a result of the associated condition or illmess. This makes the issue of giving very emotive and very personal. I am of the opinion that giving in memory of Stephen, ironically whom none of us knew, should, in this instance, be personal and everyone who wishes should do in their own way and at what ever level they wish and are able so to do.

scouseroy

Graduate Member
First Name
Roy
I don't think hire craft are allowed under Potter Heigham bridge,but will do my best to have fun thanks!! .... the beer will help lol

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I think Neil has hit it on the head. I will not give money to any charity until they show me in writing how much of each £1 I give them will actually go to the cause they are collecting for, if it is less 85p they have no chance, if it is 95p I will give a couple of pounds if I like what the cause is. I was asked to take individual photos of people and they would pay £1 each for a small print I would take the photos free of charge with all my own equipment and I could even get the prints free from a regular supplier as it would be for a good cause. When I asked how much of the £1 went to the end cause I was told it would be about 40p after overheads, there were no overheads I wasn't charging anything and people could pick up their photos from the place who had give the space for free. I didn't do that job, but there is a lot of money to be made in charities.

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
On another forum some time ago we were asked to make a pen for a very good cause The Yorkshire air Ambulance.
Many or all of us clubbed in and put many pens in the guys direction.
I sent a box full and I mean full of pens, stupidly I the box I used was one of these and genuine.
All I ever heard about it was thanks for your donation bud the box won't sell so I am keeping it myself Not a word about how much was ever raised or any result of our efforts.
Not saying that will happen but saying how some people can treat you when trying to do something good and how easy it is to put me off wanting to do it again.
I actually didn't mind him keeping the box, after all I had given it away to raise money but I wonder iif he still has the box.

Jim

Grand Master
Not sure how this can work, and i don't mind doing my bit but if it is to much work Roy i would suggest looking at something completely different .. As someone stated a short while ago regarding auctions ..

I know this is a good cause but i also know that it can make people uncomfortable, i don't think i should go into detail but i am sure you all know where i am coming from ..

We have Hired a boat on the Norfolk Broads for a week :banana: looking forward to a bit of R+R...... and beer lol

One of our best holidays when the kids were young was on the Broads .. :thumbs:

Enjoy it Roy and if you have to go under Potter Heigham bridge do it at full speed if the tide is behind you - the number of people who dont and end up stuck across the bridge arch is a source of constant amusement for the locals.

If i remember correctly there are marshals who take your boat under the bridge now .. :wink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).