PDA

View Full Version : Complete beginner !

Lainey
03-08-14, 10:00
Hello to you all,
I suppose I can't even describe myself as a beginner , I've got as far as buying two books, looking on "You Tube" and searching out this forum . So I guess I'm a pr-beginner. I've never even been in the same room as a lathe, so that clearly defines my level of skill and knowledge ! We has to fell an on oak tree that has sentimental significance to our family. Although small by oak tree standards, I feel there will be enough wood to make something . I am hoping to have a plant stand made of the trunk. Having kept all the branches , I wondered if I would be able to make pens from them . I would appreciate any information on seasoning , lathes, tools , and any other information I may need.
I note something is happening in York soon , Hopefully I may be able to attend ,
I look forward to participating in this forum,
Kind regards
Lainey

paulm
03-08-14, 10:29
Hi Lainey,
You have just done the best thing you could before going and buying all you need to start turning. I'm not going to give you any advice as there are plenty of people on the forum who are far more qualified than me and able to do so... but beware, once you start turning you'll never be able to stop!

Welcome to the most friendly forum on the planet with lots of banter and good advice. :thumbs:

Jim
03-08-14, 10:34
Welcome to the forums Lainey, we have all been in your predicament my friend .. :thumbs: You are doing the right thing in as far as trying to gather as much knowledge as you can before starting out, if you are wanting to get into this hobby i would suggest making a visit to see Philip Greenwood (http://www.tryacourse.co.uk/woodturning_course.html) at Hutton-le-Hole for some lessons .. If you can make the trip to the Meet that Neil Lawton is organising you will be able to talk with many members here including Philip Greenwood .. :thumbs:

Neil Lawton
03-08-14, 11:23
Hi Lainey welcome to the forum.
If you can make the 16th you are most welcome. They're all a bit oddball but they do know a thing or two about turning!:bwink:

If you would like to pop over sometime and have a go on a lathe, just let me know. If you bring some of the Oak, I can cut and seal some blanks for you and run you through the seasoning process.
Regards,
Neil

PhillH
03-08-14, 12:28
I resent that "Oddball and know about turning" !

I know very little about turning !

paulm
03-08-14, 15:02
Exactly, and whoever said I don't know nothing, I'l like to inform them that I do know nothing. So there :funny:

Terry
03-08-14, 15:11
Welcome aboard Lainey and enjoy the forum !!!

Woody
03-08-14, 17:14
I resent that "Oddball and know about turning" !

I know very little about turning !

You have been on the turn for ages Phill :funny::funny::funny::funny::funny::funny:

Woody
03-08-14, 17:17
Welcome Lainey stay here to long and it will be loony they are all stark staring bonkers on here apart from me that is watch out for Mr chairman plonker he has been away for a week so he is after a bit of action

Neil Lawton
03-08-14, 17:36
Welcome Lainey stay here to long and it will be loony they are all stark staring bonkers on here apart from me that is watch out for Mr chairman plonker he has been away for a week so he is after a bit of action

Possibly an unfortunate turn of phrase for our new lady forum member Woody:whistling:
Don't worry Elaine, Terry is very, very old:devil:

scouseroy
03-08-14, 17:56
Welcome Lainey ,I too hadn't even seen a lathe until April this year but now churning out pens like a madman and really enjoying myself and learning tons of stuff from these guys on here ,although my credit card hates them!!!

yorkshireman
03-08-14, 18:09
Possibly an unfortunate turn of phrase for our new lady forum member Woody:whistling:

Get out of that Woody lol

chas_41_uk
03-08-14, 18:34
Welcome to the madhouse Lainey :thumbs:

Twister
03-08-14, 18:43
welcome Lainey

i think they are nearly all barking mad here

Steve

Woody
03-08-14, 18:59

Oops:bwink::bwink:

Jim
03-08-14, 19:00

I guess this has caught a few of us out Neil .. :funny:

stevenw1963
03-08-14, 19:16
Welcome lainey, never mind the southerners, they're all raving lunatics.
Think seriously about what you want to make, not just now but way in the future & buy / purloin accordingly.
& it is very addictive!!!

silver
03-08-14, 19:38
Welcome Lainey,

Glad you have come along, they need a few more new ones to dilute the insanity on the forum. Never know you might even gain some knowledge along the way. but be carefull, if you take too much off the old ones :bwink: they are struggling with their memory already..:funny:

Look forward to seeing you progress and cant wait to see your first turned item..:thumbs:

Lons
03-08-14, 21:06

:funny::funny: Well done Woody, glad you put your foot in before I did.

Welcome aboard Lainey, I guess you've formed a picture of some of the inmates by now.:wink:

I guess I won't be posting any more sexist jokes. (You aren't Irish as well - are you?):whistling:

Dalboy
03-08-14, 21:08
Another welcome here. Most on here are mad the rest well they are just lunatics. Just ask any questions does not matter how silly it may sound someone will probably answer.

Neil
03-08-14, 21:47
Lainey,

Welcome, I hope you enjoy the forum, but do apologise in advance for all these old codgers and their bad language, most of them are in their Adventure before dementia stage in life but are a bit nutty to start with.

Grump
03-08-14, 21:57
Don't worry Elaine, Terry is very, very old
This is true but Woody is so much older init?
Welcome Lainey enjoy the forums you'll have some fun in here.

Lainey
03-08-14, 23:08
Thank you to you all for your very warm welcome . I certainly have been lucky to join this forum, already I've been offered advice, had an invitation AND been called a lady ! I must apologise and thank Neil, firstly apologise as I assumed the "meet" was a public venue and just about invited myself , and thank him for being gracious and inviting me anyway and offering so much help and advice.
I have enjoyed reading the banter , it's made me smile !
Thank you

Lons
04-08-14, 00:06
Thank you to you all for your very warm welcome . I certainly have been lucky to join this forum, already I've been offered advice, had an invitation AND been called a lady ! I must apologise and thank Neil, firstly apologise as I assumed the "meet" was a public venue and just about invited myself , and thank him for being gracious and inviting me anyway and offering so much help and advice.
I have enjoyed reading the banter , it's made me smile !
Thank you

You would be doing us all a favour if you came to the York "do" Lainey. The only forum member I've met so far is Walter but I think some of the others need to be kept in check from what I've heard :very_drunk:.....so the presence of a lady might just do the trick.:friendly_wink:
Doesn't apply to me of course, I'm always well behaved!:whistling:

Penpal
04-08-14, 03:52
Welcome Elaine from over here enjoy your stay.

Kindv regards Peter.:thumbs:

brody2123
04-08-14, 05:32
Welcome Lainey. You can treat this place like a second home. Questions, ask away there's more than enough experience on here to offer help/advice. Turning is a funny old game, and I'm sure after a while you'll work out what aspect you like more.
But, most importantly, do what you like and like what you do.
Looking forward to seeing your first work:thumbs:

( ps don't say the words "pink" and "acrylic" to Brian, he gets all excited) :devil:

edlea
04-08-14, 16:53
Hi Lainey......Welcome from the only nice guy here abouts.:thumbs:

Baldy
04-08-14, 20:33
The people here are a font of all knowledge. And so friendly. .

Welcome.

silver
04-08-14, 21:25
( ps don't say the words "pink" and "acrylic" to Brian, he gets all excited) :devil:

Don't feel alone on here, there is also Sharon (sbwertz ) from Phoenix Arizona so you are not alone..

As for pink.. Check this out, like to remind Brian of it every now and then....http://www.penturners.co.uk/acrylic-turned-items/962-4-flamingo-pens-raising-money-local-charities.html

Lainey
09-08-14, 23:32
Yes an image is starting to emerge, but I'm not that easily scared( I've had children !) It would take a lot to cause offence too, so I hope no one feels they have to watch what they say or how they say it , just because a female of the species has turned up! ( is that a pun I see before me ?)
No , not Irish.... A Yorkshire lass born and bred !
And as for sexist jokes .....Q. Why do women have smaller feet ? A. So they can get closer to the sink !

silver
09-08-14, 23:40
Yes an image is starting to emerge, but I'm not that easily scared( I've had children !)

...Q. Why do women have smaller feet ? A. So they can get closer to the sink !

Bugger me... .... I thought it was or get closer to the ironing board.. You learn something every day...:bwink::funny:

Lainey
09-08-14, 23:48
An ironing what ?

bassethound
10-08-14, 06:10
Well how rude of me leaving it so long before saying welcome to the asylum Lainey! I didn't really miss this thread honest :rolling:
you will enjoy the forum I'm sure! have fun..

Lons
10-08-14, 09:29
And as for sexist jokes .....Q. Why do women have smaller feet ? A. So they can get closer to the sink !

Yebbut...why do womens size 4 shoes cost a lot more than my size 10s? Never could quite work that one out. And if women are "chained to the kitchen sink" why do they need shoes at all (and soooo many!) a cheap pair of slippers would do nicely.:whistling:

Grump
10-08-14, 09:40
Never mind all this joviality on a Sunday moaning.
A good woman would be in the kitchen stoving over a hot slave init?
I know my place bye.

billyb_imp
10-08-14, 10:20
Welcome to the forum Lainey, ask away, the answers will come thick and fast.

I to was in your position back in March this year but this lot here soon got me on track :thinks::thumbs:

paulm
10-08-14, 11:55
Welcome to the forum Lainey, ask away, the answers will come thick and fast.

I to was in your position back in March this year but this lot here soon got me on track :thinks::thumbs:

As soon as you've made us all a cuppa that is :funny::funny::funny::funny:

chas_41_uk
10-08-14, 12:12
As soon as you've made us all a cuppa that is :funny::funny::funny::funny:
Nahh coffee :funny::funny::funny:

Lainey
11-08-14, 00:15
Better keep this forum secret from the big pharmaceutical companies..... It's better than any medicine!
I would be more than happy to make you cuppa's , I've served my apprenticeship ....and ,If I'm ever going to make a pen, I need you all !
I might get to meet some of you on the 16th in York . I've so much to learn, it's too good an opportunity to miss.

Goulss
11-08-14, 05:05
Better keep this forum secret from the big pharmaceutical companies..... It's better than any medicine!

Welcome Lainey, where on earth do you think all of the above companies test there anti-addiction drugs :banana: but they ain't found one to cure us yet:banghead:

By the way you will make a small fortune out of turning.......................just start with a a large one:whistling:

Lons
11-08-14, 21:51
Welcome Lainey, where on earth do you think all of the above companies test there anti-addiction drugs :banana: but they ain't found one to cure us yet:banghead:

By the way you will make a small fortune out of turning.......................just start with a a large one:whistling:

WOT HE SAID:thumbs:

wm460
12-08-14, 20:04
G'Day Lainey,

Welcome to the forum from the cool centre of Aust.

Cheers,
Mark.