PDA

View Full Version : Ey up....

AndyC65
26-01-15, 13:30
Now then,

Just joined and thought I'd introduce myself.

Coming back to woodwork after a ten year hiatus. Used to have a ShopSmith when I lived in the US (NJ), and the workshop room to go with it.

Been back in Donny for ten years, and the bug of pen turning is still gnawing away at me. Never made one - always promised myself I would. Was more into bowls & boxes back then.

Anyway, have myself booked on a pen turning course at Turners retreat for this Friday, and wondered if anyone had done that course or if anyone had any tips/advice for what to do or not do & any pertinent things I should ask about?

Looking forward to my stay here.

cheers,

Andy C

PS - The pen in the top left corner - Yorkshire rose & Leeds colours?? (MOT!)

Themackay
26-01-15, 13:33
Welcome to the forum Andy enjoy your course at Turners retreat

Paul
26-01-15, 13:54
I'm sure you will love the course.

The chap here are pretty good at training through the critique.

So I started to learn here tbh.

My tip. Keep the wood wider than the tubes.

Learnt here. Sand with the lathe off.

But I warn you they are many opinions here. All right. Even when they contradict. You will get hooked.

Kardav
26-01-15, 14:20
Welcome to the forum Andy. Not been on that particular course, did a general turning course at TR some years ago and found it invaluable, as I'm sure you will on Friday. As regards questions, I'm sure there will be plenty whilst you're there and many more afterwards when you start by yourself. Just don't be afraid to ask as someone on here will have the answer, and there is always more than one!

Buckeye
26-01-15, 14:31
Welcome to the forum, show us photos of your day at TR.

Peter

TaylorsMirfield.co.uk
26-01-15, 14:36
Leeds United! Of all the teams! I guess we can't all be Huddersfield fans. Welcome to the forum mate

yorkshireman
26-01-15, 14:46
Hello Andy mate, welcome.

Terry Q
26-01-15, 15:06
Hello Andy. Welcome

stevenw1963
26-01-15, 15:19
Hello Andy, at last we outnumber the Huddersfield fans, mind you that wouldn't be hard seeing they only have one man & his dog as fans :funny::funny::funny::funny:

Join in & have fun

johns486
26-01-15, 16:41
Welcome from sunny Manchester.

bluntchisel
26-01-15, 16:42
Welcome, Andy - have a great day, matey! Looking forward to seeing what springs forth from all that training!
(Jeez, another bloody Yorky - where do they all come from? LOL!)

Bob.

paulm
26-01-15, 17:00
Welcome Andy. Have a good course :thumbs:

Bill Mooney
26-01-15, 17:00
Hi Andy welcome to the forum. :thumbs:

Dalboy
26-01-15, 17:02
Welcome Andy enjoy your training and when you have finished you can show all the northerners how to turn a pen:funny::funny::funny:

Vic Perrin
26-01-15, 17:11
Hi Andy and welcome to the forum

:thumbs:Vic:thumbs:

bassethound
26-01-15, 17:30
Hello Andy, welcome mate!..:thumbs:

Neil Lawton
26-01-15, 17:45
Ay up thee sen Andy lad!

ni9eofse7en
26-01-15, 17:54
MOT..Welcome and enjoy the course.

Penpal
26-01-15, 18:51
Andy there is no perfect way only your way put your stamp on it right from the get go you can spend far too much time chasing rainbows, good old fashioned care and safety are important. Did you enjoy your time in the states in New Jersey? one of my mob left Scotland in the 1700.s and was the 5th President of Princeton University there documented his life experiences.

I believe courses are great worthwhile as it takes you to another place stimulating new experiences. With your previous knowledge you should feel quite at home. Welcome to the forum from Australia mate.

Peter.:thumbs:

chas_41_uk
26-01-15, 18:51
Hi Andy and welcome to the Asylum :thumbs:
You'll find they are all mad in here. Well, apart from me. I have a certificate that says I'm sane (twitch twitch)

Jeez, another bloody Yorky - where do they all come from
It's called inbreeding :funny:

Buckeye
26-01-15, 19:26
You'll find they are all mad in here. Well, apart from me. I have a certificate that says I'm sane (twitch twitch)

Wot? Have they moved Yorkshire to the west country:funny::funny:

Peter

PhillH
26-01-15, 19:28
Welcome to the madhouse mate.

Terry
26-01-15, 19:40
Welcome aboard Andy !!!:thumbs:

ni9eofse7en
26-01-15, 19:48

Yes his mother had him tested.

Jim
26-01-15, 20:34
Welcome to the forums Andy .. :thumbs: You will never look back after taking the lesson .. :thumbs:

Phil Dart
26-01-15, 21:44
Anyway, have myself booked on a pen turning course at Turners retreat for this Friday, and wondered if anyone had done that course or if anyone had any tips/advice for what to do or not do & any pertinent things I should ask about?

Hi Any - Welcome aboard.

Yes, could you ask them where my order is please? That's not quite what you meant though is it? Enjoy the course - and don't but too much whilst you're there. Doubtless there'll be all sorts of essentials they'll point out to you whilst you're there!!

wm460
27-01-15, 00:13
Welcome to the forum Andy.:thumbs:

Lons
27-01-15, 00:34
Welcome from Geordieland

Neil
27-01-15, 01:50
Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy the day at TR. careful of what you read on here, someone said it was a democracy and everyone could have an opinion. People with opinions, that's dangerous that is.

AndyC65
27-01-15, 15:32
Many thanks for the warm welcome - even from the dog botherer!

Nice to see so many Tykes here :D.

Peter - NJ itself was OK, it's just that Americans lived there ;)

Will report back after the course - depending on how well the pens turn out, depends on whether or not my camera will be working ;)

cheers,

Andy C

stevenw1963
27-01-15, 17:24

:funny::funny::funny::funny::funny::funny: Wonder how many will get that one :whistling::whistling:

TaylorsMirfield.co.uk
27-01-15, 17:49
:funny::funny::funny::funny::funny::funny: Wonder how many will get that one :whistling::whistling:
Man's best friend and all. We will have to see what Saturday brings.

Lons
27-01-15, 21:46
Well it ain't me 'cos I'm not from Huddersfield Town:wink:

stevenw1963
27-01-15, 22:22
Huddersfield Town FC = the terriers, hence dog botherers Bob - simples innit :funny::funny::funny:

Lons
27-01-15, 22:51
Huddersfield Town FC = the terriers, hence dog botherers Bob - simples innit :funny::funny::funny:

Yes I knew it but only 'cos my head's full of useless information:funny: I rarely remember anything important:whistling:

wm460
29-01-15, 09:09

Peter - NJ itself was OK, it's just that Americans lived there ;)

Will report back after the course - depending on how well the pens turn out, depends on whether or not my camera will be working ;)

cheers,

Andy C

even from the dog botherer!?? Who are they??:thinks:

AndyC65
04-02-15, 11:51
Mark - dog botherers are Huddersfield Town football club fans.

Unfortunately for them, they lost in their cup final to the best team in Yorkshire on Saturday.

That aside, I've posted some pictures of my pens from the course here:-

http://www.penturners.co.uk/wood-turned-items/9472-my-first-attempts-pen-turning-course-turners-retreat.html#post141429

cheers,

Andy C

stevenw1963
04-02-15, 13:01
Mark - dog botherers are Huddersfield Town football club fans.

Unfortunately for them, they lost in their cup final to the best team in Yorkshire on Saturday.

That aside, I've posted some pictures of my pens from the course here:-

http://www.penturners.co.uk/wood-turned-items/9472-my-first-attempts-pen-turning-course-turners-retreat.html#post141429

cheers,

Andy C

Shhhhhhhhh, I didn't want to say anything about Huddersfield losing to Leeds on Saturday until Dan had sent my order out :funny::funny::funny::funny:

TaylorsMirfield.co.uk
04-02-15, 14:36
Shhhhhhhhh, I didn't want to say anything about Huddersfield losing to Leeds on Saturday until Dan had sent my order out :funny::funny::funny::funny:
Don't be surprised when you receive an extra little 'gift'

stevenw1963
04-02-15, 16:24
Don't be surprised when you receive an extra little 'gift'

No doubt a terrier turd!!!! :funny::funny::funny::funny:

ni9eofse7en
04-02-15, 16:32

Yep but we're still below them in the table. So no bragging rights yet.. MOT

AllenN
04-02-15, 20:50
Welcome to the forum. Loads of useful information and help on here. Allen

wm460
04-02-15, 22:56
Welcome to the forum Andy, from the centre of Aust.:thumbs::thumbs:

AndyC65
05-02-15, 10:27
Welcome to the forum Andy, from the centre of Aust.:thumbs::thumbs:

Thanks again Mark.

Is the Avatar RCT or RACT?

cheers,

Andy C

Dalboy
05-02-15, 12:42
I always thought Marks badge was for the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes

AndyC65
05-02-15, 12:45
I always thought Marks badge was for the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes

And now I've cleaned my glasses, I can see the initials there - thank you for being kind in stating the (blinding) obvious!!

:bwink:

Andy C