• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

What I turned a couple of months ago.

Gunsmith Fiamma

First Name
Francesco
Hello my friends.
I say i'm sorry in advance for the crappy quality of the photo, but i had to take it with my Iphone.
A couple of months ago, my employers asked me to turn a pen for them, so, since i had a couple of streamline kit laying arround in my shop, i decided to turn this 2 little girls:
IMG_0897_zpsf22306b4.jpg

I'm proud to say, that i never bought a wooden pen blank for my pens (though i'm happy to buy acrylic ones) , but instead i like to salvage woods and cut my own blanks, i used a piece of hard Mahogany salvaged from a broken boat keel, for the left one.
For the right one, I used..........I used....... sorry mates, i can't remember the wood I used and I'm not good to recognize wood just from a pen :sob:, but you can help me with that. I have a drawer full of blanks cut from this wood, but I can't really remember where i got the plank from wich I cut them...
For the mahogany one, I used carnauba wax softened with walnut oil. I cut it with oil, because the only carnauba I can find is hard as rock, but if I melt it in a pot and add alittle of raw walnut oil, it become soft enough to rub it on wood without scratching it. On the unknown wood I used shellac polished with "Olio paglierino" (I dont know how is called in english but is very similiar to mineral oil but yellow).
The clip on the left one is a gift from the store where I buy my kits.

Hope you like it
Francesco

Baldy

Fellow
First Name
Graeme
Looking good Francesco. I tried mixing walnut oil with beeswax but didn't use enough walnut oil so still rock hard.. have learned for next time go use s little more and I will pop back in oven with more oil to soften a little more.. did it for making a bowl that needed a food safe finish..

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Francesco one of the bosses have a love of weapons mate I am a great believer in Carnauba Wax sticks. Try Sreamline centre bands mate a whole new world of design opportunities. Nice to have a yarn the other day.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Gunsmith Fiamma

First Name
Francesco
Looking good Francesco. I tried mixing walnut oil with beeswax but didn't use enough walnut oil so still rock hard.. have learned for next time go use s little more and I will pop back in oven with more oil to soften a little more.. did it for making a bowl that needed a food safe finish..

Graeme, I use beeswax/oil as well, but not for pens, only on bowls an other turned pottery. I mix wax (either carnauba or beeswax) using a simple method:
For carnauba i grind the raw wax in a coffee grinder and put the powder in a glass jar, then i put the jar in boiling water until it melt, then I add a little bit of walnut oil, give a good stirring and then, with a little spoon, i take some of the liquid and let it cool to test the consistency. I use the same method for beeswax, but I dice it with a very sharpened knife blade, because if you put it in the coffee grinder, it will become a nasty mess. (ask me how I know it :winking:).

Cheers
Francesco

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I like the thought that you've never bought a wooden pen blank Francesco, there is so much wood out there to be reclaimed. The wood on the right in my opinion is Oak. Two very nice pens there. :thumbs:

Gunsmith Fiamma

First Name
Francesco
Mmmm, oak you say... Now I have to remember where i got it :funny:. I had cut this blanks, a couple of years ago and used only a couple of them so far.

Cheers
Francesco

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
It looks very similar to the oak I've got from whisky barrels Francesco... not that I'm suggesting there is a whisky barrel tree.. or that you drink a lot :funny:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Good efforts there Francesco, I would guess the wood as oak also.
Olio paglierino translates as Straw oil probably due to the colour, when googling straw oil it brings up types of oil including WD40 and bio oils made from rice Straw etc.
I hazard a guess at something like linseed oil which lots of nutters like to throw at wood over here.

Jim

Grand Master
Two nicely turned Pens Francesco, i like the way you finish your pens .. I must try this and see how the finish looks for me .. :thumbs:

I will also go with Oak .. :winking:

Gunsmith Fiamma

First Name
Francesco
It looks very similar to the oak I've got from whisky barrels Francesco... not that I'm suggesting there is a whisky barrel tree.. or that you drink a lot :funny:
Paul, you almost got it right:funny: :
Today, when was working at my bench in the store, I reminded where I got the plank from wich I cut the blanks.....it was a very old Grappa barrel. (if you don't know what Grappa is, go look here Grappa). Im not very in to drinking, because i can't really hold my liquor, but when someone offer me a good Scotch whisky, I can make an ecception :whistling:

Cheers mate
Francesco

Gunsmith Fiamma

First Name
Francesco
Good efforts there Francesco, I would guess the wood as oak also.
Olio paglierino translates as Straw oil probably due to the colour, when googling straw oil it brings up types of oil including WD40 and bio oils made from rice Straw etc.
I hazard a guess at something like linseed oil which lots of nutters like to throw at wood over here.
No mate, it's very different from linseed oil, it's what we use here in italy to lubricate the pad, when we do shellac finish (or French finish). Its not a drying oil like tung, walnut or linseed.
I don't know why, but here in italy, no one use mineral oil on wood, but I'm pretty sure that olio paglierino is indeed mineral oil, but lightly dyed in yellow. It have almost not smell and it looks like a very light ale.
Thanks for your reply
Francesco

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).