• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

What I turned a couple of months ago.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Graeme, I use beeswax/oil as well, but not for pens, only on bowls an other turned pottery. I mix wax (either carnauba or beeswax) using a simple method:
For carnauba i grind the raw wax in a coffee grinder and put the powder in a glass jar, then i put the jar in boiling water until it melt, then I add a little bit of walnut oil, give a good stirring and then, with a little spoon, i take some of the liquid and let it cool to test the consistency. I use the same method for beeswax, but I dice it with a very sharpened knife blade, because if you put it in the coffee grinder, it will become a nasty mess. (ask me how I know it :winking:).

Cheers
Francesco

I went to a garage sale and the guys wife was a beauty therapist and she was selling her gear from her shop business she was closing to have more children she sold me a double electric boiler with thermostat I find it ideal to make, mix waxes after all the central part was removable it was used for hair removal wax. A whole lot safer prevents combustion especially with beeswax.

Peter.:thumbs:

Gunsmith Fiamma

First Name
Francesco
I know Grappa well, used to work for a couple Italians, They used to put it in their coffee in the morning, had to watch them careful that they didn't put it in mine.

Lol !! In the morning? I envy people who can hold theyr liquor....... 12 years ago I went on the border with France, for taking some classes from a notorious gun maker, they were drinking grappa and white wine for breakfast and they were making fun of me because I didn't dare to even touch it :funny:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Hey Fancesco, how about showing us some of the guns you've made? I previously had a Beretta 687 but have since changed to Browning with a GTS Elite.

Gunsmith Fiamma

First Name
Francesco
Hey Fancesco, how about showing us some of the guns you've made? I previously had a Beretta 687 but have since changed to Browning with a GTS Elite.
Sure mate, from now on I will take some picture of the works I do.
About the GTS Elite: It's a very good and all purpouse Over and under, but in the long run, i would prefer a 687. Just refurbished one from the 80's with 30000+ shells on his shoulder and I had to cange only a liitle spring, from the mass actuator of the trigger :winking:.
The owner, asked for a wax finish on the wood and when he came back to take the finished job, he almost cryied of happiness. I wonder what they were thinking, when they put polyuretane clear paint, on a grade B Turkish Walnut stock... its like to spray clear paint on La Gioconda!!!!:funny:

Have a nice day
Francesco

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).