• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

2 small oak bowls

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
How are you using it Jim? I've been applying it at about 1,000 RPM,building up a layer then using the reverse of sandpaper (just paper) to heat up the wax and spread it out,followed by a buff with a clean cloth.

I'm not how long it will hold up but since these bowls will remain in my possession,I can always spin them back up later and re apply the wax or another finish.
It dose need sanding sealer or something like that as a base otherwise it will get absorbed into the wood and not last that long done properly it is the hardest wax in the world

mattyts

Registered
It dose need sanding sealer or something like that as a base otherwise it will get absorbed into the wood and not last that long done properly it is the hardest wax in the world

I didn't use sanding sealer on these,the last bowl I did with sealer turned out horrible because there was patches where I had applied sealer and it had soaked in further than on the rest of the bowl,need to get a hold of some of the spray on stuff

Paul

Fellow
Clearly no expert but I use sealer, small amount on cloth and keep moving fast. even turning on lathe by hand. That's what the man on the course said anyway!

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I didn't use sanding sealer on these,the last bowl I did with sealer turned out horrible because there was patches where I had applied sealer and it had soaked in further than on the rest of the bowl,need to get a hold of some of the spray on stuff

What grit did you sand to as it sounds like there must have been some open fibres I always apply S/S with the lathe stationary with a cloth just small amounts at a time then spin the lathe to buff then apply my polish finish

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
It was Sycamore,sanded to 400 and I'm not having much luck with it,lot of grain tearing at opposite ends of the blank

That is the end grain on two sides of your bowl that is why you are getting patches from the sanding sealer try very fine cuts cutting from the bottom of the bowl through to the top with the bevel of the tool rubbing on the side of the bowl and that with a bit of practice sort out the problem I will try to take some photos of tool angles tomorrow for you good luck

mattyts

Registered
You would always be welcome to some over Matt for some lessons and I done charge

Thanks Woody,that's very generous of you,if I am ever near Newark I will call in :pray:

regarding the tools,I'm using a 3/8ths scraper,freshly sharpened but also have two bowl gouges,a very fine one and a 3/8ths robert sorby

Paul

Fellow
That is the end grain on two sides of your bowl that is why you are getting patches from the sanding sealer try very fine cuts cutting from the bottom of the bowl through to the top with the bevel of the tool rubbing on the side of the bowl and that with a bit of practice sort out the problem I will try to take some photos of tool angles tomorrow for you good luck

Photos would be immense to look at too, as I think I am having this problem with an ash bowl, ie open fibres.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Photos would be immense to look at too, as I think I am having this problem with an ash bowl, ie open fibres.

I have just been informed we need to go into town in the morning so I will try and do some photos in the afternoon for you

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Thanks Woody,that's very generous of you,if I am ever near Newark I will call in :pray:

regarding the tools,I'm using a 3/8ths scraper,freshly sharpened but also have two bowl gouges,a very fine one and a 3/8ths robert sorby

The scrapper could be your problem for final cuts it is best to either do very fine cuts with the bowl gouge with bevel rub or sheer scrapping cuts with the scrapper both should work but wood being wood you can never tell I will try and do some photos of both methods for you

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Sorry guys got home shattered so no workshop today and we are out tomorrow so it will be Sunday before I can do the pics

Matt

Registered
I'm sure we will all be waiting Woody! :pray: I'll have to get booked in for my next lesson myself :bwink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).