• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

2nd casting that sort of worked

jas46

Apprentice Member
First Name
jason
Hey everyone
This is my second what i class as sucsessfull casting lol
I had mixed way too much black for my first cast so i decided to smash it up and try a black and pearl gold.

Now here is the problem, when im lathing it down the cutting tool is skipping the black bits and leaving them raised even after sanding i can still feel that the black bits are raised can anyone shed any light on this ?
20160708_113347.jpg
20160708_113510.jpg

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It could be that the black has fully cured and the gold is not yet fully cured so is softer, if you wait until they have both fully cured they should match in hardness. Have a look at the data sheet for the resin and see how long the full cure is.

Looks like a nice cast.

Peter

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
It could be that the black has fully cured and the gold is not yet fully cured so is softer, if you wait until they have both fully cured they should match in hardness. Have a look at the data sheet for the resin and see how long the full cure is.

Looks like a nice cast.

Peter

Sounds like a plan Peter . reckon you could be spot on there . Good looking blank too.:thumbs:

jas46

Apprentice Member
First Name
jason
Yeah that makes perfect sence buckeye I will leave it a couple of days then take a couple of light cut passes
it is a lovely gold and was a just a practice bit, but I learned a lot from it one being don't use a laminate worktop as a mold hahaha
have got my silicon molds drying as I type so will be making some more tomorrow even my mrs can't wait or me to make some more haha

Thanks

Jas

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I tried that yesterday with some black and red buts that I broke up I found a great big air gap down the side but should be able to get something from it. Still your does look good besides the problem that is, I would also go with the above suggestion

jas46

Apprentice Member
First Name
jason
I think I was lucky the only places I found any bubbles was at the edges, I've got some yellow I have to break up so will try that with pearl black.
I like the fact we can use even scrap bits and still create a beautiful blank

Jas

Jim

Grand Master
Peter could be bang on with his assumption Jason, on the bright side it does look a good blank .. :thumbs:

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
It's a good looking blank & worth trying to get right. I think Peter is right. You'll always sand more of the soft away. This happens with timber. Leave a few days then go back to it.:thumbs:

jas46

Apprentice Member
First Name
jason
I am going to leave it till tomorrow and then try a light pass on the lathe but I think you guys are right with the gold being softer, I'm thinking 24hrs may have not been enough cure time, just me being impatient again

Jas

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).