• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A bit of a tinker

Jim

Grand Master
Nice home made sharpen Kevin, are the 3 holes in the wooden upright for different tools? :thinks:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Hi All

In the Echter article he turns the drive belt in a figure eight to reverse the belt, making it run up- over or away from the tool edge, my configuration wouldn't allow for that, but I've not had a catch yet, the other article I spoke about before was by Jon Siegel.
part 1 Big Tree Tools - Your Source for Professional Woodturning Tools and Equipment
Part 2 Big Tree Tools - Your Source for Professional Woodturning Tools and Equipment

I get my belts from here Hollison Supply, Abrasives & Metal Polishing Supplies

Hope this helps, I'd love to see who else has one.

Regards
Kevin

So does it not make any difference to sharpening chisels which ever way the belt runs ?

kjmc1957

Registered
Hi Jim

Yeah the three holes are what's found on the very expensive brand name model that inspired this, to tell the truth I just use it as it is set up, works for me

Hi Ed

It doesn't seem to matter which way the belt runs, but I can only say that's what works for me, caveat emptor and all that.
the Echter article explains how he was able to reverse the belt direction very easily, on my kit the spindle for the sanding disk sits exactly where the figure of eight crossover/waist would be so I couldn't do it, I probably would have if I could to be fair.
I got my disk/belt from flea bay for a tenner so I was happy to give it a go.

Can I also say for all of those folks who think they can't do metal work, I am your unacknowledged king, this is the first thing mechanical I have ever done, that is drilling the holes into the metal side, took a few minutes with my hand drill and I just used the bolt to cut the thread, works a treat.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Kevin

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Kevin you are a star sir, you have done an exceedingly good job of creating your own sharpening station.
There are arguments for which way the belt runs but that's all they are, is arguments, if you make the edge thin it will get sharp and that will happen in either direction.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).