• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A diamond carbide tipped detail tool.

Gizmo3k

Graduate Member
First Name
Alan
Looks good. Funnily enough I was thinking of trying to make something like that myself, the only thing holding me back is my complete absence of any mechanical or metalwork ability!

Saying that, surely it can't be too hard, can it?

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Looks good. Funnily enough I was thinking of trying to make something like that myself, the only thing holding me back is my complete absence of any mechanical or metalwork ability!

Saying that, surely it can't be too hard, can it?

All you need is a hacksaw and a file. Also an appropriate drill and taps to fasten the carbide tip to the steel shaft !!!

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I used this tool today to do the finishing cuts on the Pristina dressed in the Salmon Gum and I have to say this carbide cutter is superb for getting a really good finish on the blank. Just use it like a skew !!!:thumbs:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I,ve seen people use the brass nut off of a compression fitting and turn the hexagonal down to a round being brass it can be turned using woodturning tools. Mind you I would use old tools to do it

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
I used this tool today to do the finishing cuts on the Pristina dressed in the Salmon Gum and I have to say this carbide cutter is superb for getting a really good finish on the blank. Just use it like a skew !!!:thumbs:

It obviously does the job Terry, great finish on the pen :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Gizmo3k

Graduate Member
First Name
Alan
I am definitely going to make one similar to this, Steven was kind enough to give me a circular cutter, so now I just need some rod, a file, a ferrule, and a lump of wood!

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I am definitely going to make one similar to this, Steven was kind enough to give me a circular cutter, so now I just need some rod, a file, a ferrule, and a lump of wood!

You can get the steel and short off cuts of 18mm copper pipe on Ebay

Gizmo3k

Graduate Member
First Name
Alan
Yup, was just looking on there. what length of rod would you suggest, and how deep should it go into the handle. I suppose it depends partly on how long I want the tool to be!

I can only turn about 12" on my lathe, so that will dictate the handle length. I have some beech (old table leg, about 60 years old!) which should do the job for that.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).