• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A few small changes that happened today

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I'm beginning to get my head around the new software a bit better now, and I've begun to rationalise the individual forums a little bit, which was always a bit too much of an uphill task on the old software, so it didn't ever happen.

One of the things that was never satisfactory in my opinion, was that most things other than pens used to get lumped together on one place. Consequently, I've created 4 new forums for all those things, so that we can keep project kits, woodturning, workshop projects and scroll saw work separately in their own little cubby holes. I've made a good start on moving threads that were previously bundled together in "Other Things we Make", but it's going to take a while to complete. In the meantime though, please feel free to use the four new forums as much as you like, either for relevant discussion, or for showing off your furnished work, or both.

Perversely, I'm seriously considering bundling all finished pens together into one single forum, and doing away with separate headings for wood, acrylic, corian, and other materials. It seems to me that if you want to look at finished pens, you don't want to be searching for them in four separate places.

That particular task will be quite easy to do, but I've not yet done it because I wonder if anyone hear has an opinion on the matter. Please feel free to comment below.

The other thing that's happened today, is that at long, long last, I've been able to make the forum secure with a SSL certificate. That may or may not mean anything to some people, suffice to say that the forum is now HTTPS, which is quite significant, and I know that a lot of members here will be very pleased to hear it.
That's all for now. You keep making pens, I'll keep working like a dog, and it'll all be good in the end. :devil:

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Thanks for all the work putting this together Phil.

For what itā€™s worth I agree that all pens should be together in one bucket irrespective of material used.

Cheers
Ash

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
I think individuality of the different mediums, they need to be segregated into their own groups. As chalk is to cheese. That s my opinion.
Also, thanks for all your hard work Phil.

Kelvin.

Last edited:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Well, I'm slowly getting there!

After a few people pointed out that they couldn't view certain forums, or upload images properly, I've managed to sort out Group permissions, and file sizes, so you shouldn't encounter any more problems like that. Please shout though if you do.

You may have noticed that the names of the Groups have changed too - you might not be a Classy Turner any longer, or a Top Dog or a Legend, and that's because the previous list was far too large, and the benefits & permissions associated with each of them were cumbersome and unwieldy. Therefore I've simplified the hierarchy a little, and changed their names, but they're still promoted according to the number of posts that members have made, so those who've contributed most over the years (you know who you are) are quite rightly still honoured.

I've also begun to get my head around the Tutorials, which now appear in a tab at the top of the page, called "Resources". I've only had time to upload a few so far, but others will follow shortly, and if you have an idea for a tutorial or any other kind of resource that you think others would find helpful, please do let me know.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
In trying to think of a suitable explanitry exclamation, I found it difficult but....
Bloody Nora you have been busy!!
šŸ˜± It seems to be coming along nicely and most of the improvements I love I didn't even know we were getting!!
Top job PhilšŸ†

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Is there a edit on posts and if so how long after posting can you edit as I just went to edit a post I did not long ago and could not see where it was.

Just seen it but how long is it before It disappears

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Is there a edit on posts and if so how long after posting can you edit as I just went to edit a post I did not long ago and could not see where it was.

Just seen it but how long is it before It disappears
It's right below your post Derek.

edit button.jpg

The length of time you have depends on your membership status - it starts at 5 minutes, but you're an Executive Mebber and I think you get 20 minutes (during which time you can edit or delete your post, or delete the whole thrtead if it's your thread).

Only a couple of thousand more posts or so, and then you'll get 30 minutes. :ciggrin:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
It's right below your post Derek.

View attachment 48072

The length of time you have depends on your membership status - it starts at 5 minutes, but you're an Executive Mebber and I think you get 20 minutes (during which time you can edit or delete your post, or delete the whole thrtead if it's your thread).

Only a couple of thousand more posts or so, and then you'll get 30 minutes. :ciggrin:
That is why I tried after the 20 minutes that is why it was not there, Thanks Phil

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Thanks for all the work you put into this site Phil. I have not been a participant for a number of years and yet it feels like home here. I am more into scroll saw fretwork patterns, bandsaw boxes and Intarsia/Segmentation with the scroll saw in fact I have passed on my lathe and its equipment but I can still access it when needed. Good luck wih all you are doing.