• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A Newbe

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Welcome Oldtimer, most of us are as you describe yourself - keen but borderline Alzheimers cases. Ask away, if we haven't just taken our medication the answers may even make some sense ... Except for Terry's of course. We just humour him and hide our tools when he stops by!

you lot are so mean to terry he is just very forgetful and forget that your tool are not his

oldtimer

Apprentice Member
Thanks Guys for the most welcome, welcome.

So here is the first of my silly questions.
As stated I have been practicing on the 7m el-cheapo twist pen. Now if I want to move on to the 10m variety, do I need another mandrel. Would assume that I do, but I gorra ask, innit :rolling:

Jim

Grand Master
No you can use the same mandrel my friend, save your cash for something else .. .:bwink:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex

As stated I have been practicing on the 7m el-cheapo twist pen. Now if I want to move on to the 10m variety, do I need another mandrel. Would assume that I do, but I gorra ask, innit :rolling:

no you get different bushings

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
No old timer all you will need is another set of bushes to fit your new pen kit and they will go on your old mandrel all the different kits have there own bushes

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed

Them there pen kits seem a bit big ,oldtimer..where you buyin' em from ?:bwink:

oldtimer

Apprentice Member
Well Edlea

I was looking through the 'Axminster ' book and some of the rollerball and fountain pens say a 10m drill bit is required. Hence my question.
BUT I have not got to that stage YET, I'm still trying to get my head around it all first. Like I said in my introduction. Bit like a kid, jumping the gun.

While I am here. I have looking trough some of the web sites and some of the galleries. What struck me was that so many are now turning to the ACRYLIC pen blanks. Whilst I agree, they look very nice, but are they wood turning? I am wood turner and these seem to be somewhat cheating. But then I am just an old fart and can't be doing with these here new fangled things.
Added to that and going off on another tac. I will post some photies of my work including the segmented. That is, when I can work out how take a few pictures and up load them onto here. I so old fashion, I can't even use a mobile phone. I will have to get my great Granddaughter to show me how. She is 2 1/2 years and can use a Mobil.

By the way, Walter Hall guided me to this site. So thanks Walter, smart move. :bwink::bwink:

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
While I am here. I have looking trough some of the web sites and some of the galleries. What struck me was that so many are now turning to the ACRYLIC pen blanks. Whilst I agree, they look very nice, but are they wood turning? I am wood turner and these seem to be somewhat cheating. But then I am just an old fart and can't be doing with these here new fangled things.

oh dear :funny::funny::funny::funny::funny: another purist, you'll get on with Brian :funny::funny:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Its your hobby old timer and you turn only what you want to turn as long as you are enjoying your hobby I dont mind what I turn be it wood my first love Acrylic, reconstituted stone or metal or a mixture of any of them I sometimes find it a pleasant change but thats me like I will turn all manner of items from clocks to bowls and pens but some will only do spindle turning we are all individuals and must be allowed to be at the end of the day who is right and who is wrong we are all right and non of us are wrong in what we make Happy turning

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Its your hobby old timer and you turn only what you want to turn as long as you are enjoying your hobby I dont mind what I turn be it wood my first love Acrylic, reconstituted stone or metal or a mixture of any of them I sometimes find it a pleasant change but thats me like I will turn all manner of items from clocks to bowls and pens but some will only do spindle turning we are all individuals and must be allowed to be at the end of the day who is right and who is wrong we are all right and non of us are wrong in what we make Happy turning
Our Lord has spoken. Make it so. Let it be written in stone, init?

oldtimer

Apprentice Member
Hey Guys

I am not knocking anyone here. If you like turning other stuff, so be it. It's just my personal opinion such as it is. I may well end up turning the acrylic myself. But somehow it just don't feel right.

No I don't consider myself a purist ( whatever that is). I just thought I would stir the pot a bit and see what bubbles up. Tee hee, Tee Hee :kiss:

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi,
I don't know if you sell any of your pens, Oldtimer, but if you do then acrylics will increase your earnings. Most of these will be bought by men for women, or by women for other women. And remember, it ain't only pens. Just take a look at George Watkins' beautiful boxes and jars in acrylic - they will break your heart (someone on here will know George's website, I'm sure.
Bob.

oldtimer

Apprentice Member
I have only just started pen making and as yet I don't really know what I am doing. But thanks in the beginning to Walter and now this site I am feeling more confident. I hope to go on and sell a few to help fund more exciting stuff.
There is no doubt that the acrylic looks very nice and I get the point that some might like to buy these as opposed to the wood forms. But weeeelllll I still feel I am a wood turner.
I have taken advice from here and looked at the George Watkins site and I agree, he sure has got some pieces on there.
Maybe when I get a bit more proficient ( not sure if I have spelt that right ) I might have a go. But I got a lot to learn yet.
I will get round to putting picci's of some of my segmented stuff on here as well as my first pens. But I gotta get somebody to show me how to put photies on here. Cos I'm so fick see and I am not from Essex. (whoops, I guess that will upset some of you, but I don't mean to ).
It's nice to read your comments and tips. I am certain you guys are going to me a great deal.:bwink:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Snap old timer I'm from Essex as well I left there about 18 years ago mind you I wouldn't go back now to many changes and not for the better

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).