• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I believe any tool or machine that gives you the finished item is acceptable if you look down the generations of wood work new technology has alway been outlawed by the older generation I can remember being given an electric screwdriver when they first come out and my reply was that ain't proper woodwork now I use them all the time lol same when electric planes come out now I wouldn't be without mine everything changes with time even our opinions

martin.pearson

First Name
Martin
Bob if you are interested then here is the link to my facebook page for the craft things that i do, I try to keep the signmaking seperate but there are some things that crossover so are on both my pages lol, lots of different things that I have done, some with the CNC & some without. Don't laugh at my pens, I am getting better lol

My Local Craft" - Home | Facebook

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Bob if you are interested then here is the link to my facebook page for the craft things that i do, I try to keep the signmaking seperate but there are some things that crossover so are on both my pages lol, lots of different things that I have done, some with the CNC & some without. Don't laugh at my pens, I am getting better lol

My Local Craft" - Home | Facebook

Definitely interested Martin and I haven't looked yet but you can be assured there's no way I'd ever laugh at anyone's creative efforts, you should see some of mine!:goesred:

I used to supply all the local signmakers around here long ago when I had a proper job, mostly ICI Perspex and Foamex although as plastics stockholders we had a wide range of semi finished plastics. Still slowly using up all the samples and offcuts I accumulated / saved from the skip :wink:

martin.pearson

First Name
Martin
I am trying to distance myself from the signwork a little Bob, with my health problems & only being able to work part time I can't really be chasing work or taking on lots of new customers, happy to try & help out the customers I have & look at jobs for people they send my way but I do that on a job by job basis. That is the main reason for wanting to do more craft stuff if I can sell it.
If I have vehicle livery to do & the customer is dropping the van off at 8 then I have to be there at that time regardless of how I feel but with the craft stuff I can go along to the workshop anytime of the day or night for that matter & just plod away lol
This is something I am working on just now for a local woodland trust, there will also be a small sign under it with some text on it. Said I would do this for them for nothing but they have since asked me to quote on another job they are hoping to get a grant for.

Attachments

• heart1.jpg
    heart1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 25
  • heart2.jpg
    heart2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 25

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I like that a lot Martin.
Getting your stuff out there exposed to possible customers is the way to get orders and I can see how the CNC would make money for you. I've been retired more than 2 years and though my health is good I certainly wouldn't go back even though previous customers often ask, had one last week almost begging me to supply and fit his kitchen. I was tempted by the cash - but only for a few minutes. :ciggrin: A bit different when you've still got dependant family, a mortgage and high bills to pay. I wish you success with your venture and hope you get lots or orders!

Grandkids are a joy though we have only one who will be 6 at the end of February. She's absolutely full of questions, and answers, I posted a while ago about her "where do babies come from" episode and she gave me a lecture last week on how rainbows are formed and that included words like diffraction and how that happens when light hits moisture in the air. I was gobsmacked! :rolling:

She said to her mum at the weekend "do you know which is the hardest bone in your body?" Mum says "no I don't" so Alice, hands on hips, says " it's your elbow and you really should know that mummy as you're a nurse!" heaven help us when she's a teenager.

Attachments

• IMG_0857.JPG
    IMG_0857.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 20
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).