• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

acetate tube pens

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Arghhh, It is Grandad, not Grand-Dad. (try saying it!) Unless Woody is of Normandy descent, or American. it is Grandad!
Bloody Southerners! Even the OED only give "Granddad" as an alternative spelling to Grandad!
I agree, the correct way of spelling and writing it is Grand-dad.. But woody wants to be known as Granddad, simple. If that what the master wants then the master gets...:thumbs:

You have to humour the old Neil...:face:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Another interloper init?
Look again see the word informal meaning spoken and not grammatically correct, the correct spelling is granddad init?
Bloody Northerner

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Another interloper init?
Look again see the word informal meaning spoken and not grammatically correct, the correct spelling is granddad init?
Bloody Northerner

Go Brian go so there see we know best bloody kids :thumbs::thumbs::banana::banana::banana:
I am the Granddaddy

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
See this

The Concise Oxford English Dictionary spells it Grandad, and Granddad is offered as a variant. Webster's spells it Granddad, and Grandad is offered as a variant.

Both are acceptable and correct. Perhaps double D is more American, and single is more British?

So is woody just wanting to be American then Grump..?

So do we call burr wood burl wood and pen bushes pen bushings from now on then..?..:face:

Back to you TT... :face:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
See this

The Concise Oxford English Dictionary spells it Grandad, and Granddad is offered as a variant. Webster's spells it Granddad, and Grandad is offered as a variant.

Both are acceptable and correct. Perhaps double D is more American, and single is more British?

So is woody just wanting to be American then Grump..?

So do we call burr wood burl wood and pen bushes pen bushings from now on then..?..:face:

Back to you TT... :face:

To be honest I don't give damn either way I have had this argument too many times init?:face:

The best one was when a yank said to a chap "If it weren't for our soldiers you English would be speaking German":funny: the chap replied " If it weren't for your teachers you Yanks would be speaking English":mooney2:
I rest my case Milud.:wink:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
My grandson has spoken to his Professor of English at his Uni and come back with the answer.

Both are wrong and both are right, English is an evolving language. The dictionary is changing all the time and words are being added rather than deleted.
Largely English is, as English is spoken, with colloquialisms and dialects varying from localization. Both granddad and grandad are in the dictionary informally.
The correct single phrase is grandfather or grandparent, I hope this goes some way to solving your enigma.

That's good enuff for me spell it however you want init?

Paul

Fellow
My grandson has spoken to his Professor of English at his Uni and come back with the answer.

That's good enuff for me spell it however you want init?

That solves it then. But should grandfather be with a capital, as in a name? ;-) :thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).