• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Advice needed on dust/chip extractor

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
You've said it's you hobby not your job, so you don't want to spend quite as much as the national debt of a small third world country. But you've also said you want to extract from a planer/thicknesser, which is not going to happen sufficiently with the cheapies in my experience. You need lots of suction because the p/t is producing quite heavy and large debris, relatively speaking, and the point of extraction is by necessity a fair bit away from the blades spread over a wide area, therefore the effect of suction is hugely diminished.

You also need dust particle protection for other machinery down to very small indeed, otherwise you may as well just stick to Brian's solution. In the main, that is also not going to happen with the cheapies.

My extractor has twin motors each 1kw. With only one motor running there is no point in running it to my p/t - its is almost completely ineffective. It needs both motors to do the job.

A good quality extractor does not necessarily mean that all its accessories have to be the same make. There are plenty of compatible tubes, and blast gates and so on, plus God had the foresight to invent gaffa tape, hot melt glue and silicone sealant. You can make a trolley on casters yourself if you need it too. My message is get the best you can afford for the extractor, save as much as you can on the extra bits and bobs.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Thanks Bob, now i just sold my Kreg ..
I use the Trend pocket hole jig Jim think they are a bit cheaper although I do have the Kreg mini which is just the single pocket jig which you clamp on the screws and drills are the same.

Thank you Phil I can get a twin motor Camvac or Record drum extractor its more than I was hoping to pay but would rather get something that works and bye cheap and repent in sorrow

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Thank you Phil I can get a twin motor Camvac or Record drum extractor its more than I was hoping to pay but would rather get something that works and bye cheap and repent in sorrow
In which case, forget the record and get the camvac. The record filter bags will fit it, all the axi ducting and so on fits it, and the camvac has the outstanding advantage in that it's not a record, just distributed by them, therefore the differences in build quality are streets apart:devil:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
If you go down the route of a vacuum (HPLV) type solution then I would recommend you build a separator, as not only do vacuums fill up quickly when using the likes of a planner thicknesser due to their smaller size, but also the filters become blocked & loose a lot of suction when extracting sanding particles.
A separator will reduce these problems considerably & are well worth considering, I documented the build of one of mine here http://www.penturners.co.uk/your-tips-jigs/2939-thien-separator-build.html

With regard to Marks suggestion of housing an extractor outside of the workshop, if you have the room to build a sealable enclosure onto the outside workshop wall you could easily vent the exhaust air back into the workshop. This is an option I'm considering at the moment, my shop is heated & I don't want to push that heat outside so I'm thinking of building a lean to shed on the side of the shop & installing a duct with filters to redirect the warm air back inside. Not only will this keep me warm but will also add to the level of filtration of the dust I produce.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Thank you Phil for the advice I have a choice of two with twin motors one with a 2.5 inch connector and one with a 4 inch connector there's not much in it price wise.

Doug I am going to look at your link and see if I can build the separator I might just have room at the side of the shed all though it would involve furtively cutting back Mrs Bobs Tree and bushes maybe a price too much to pay if caught. I am off to a family wedding so won't be back until Monday when I can set the ball rolling with the dealer as no doubt he will have to order.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Thank you Phil for the advice I have a choice of two with twin motors one with a 2.5 inch connector and one with a 4 inch connector there's not much in it price wise.
Unless you are extracting large size chippings in industrial quantities, you don't really need 4 inch. In fact I would even caution against it in a home workshop as it is really a compromise between anti-clog due to a wider intake and a reduced suction due to the same thing. The wider the intake, the less the suction.

My p/t has a 4 inch outlet and so does my bandsaw. If have stepped both of them down to 2.5 inch and I have never has a clogging issue with either.

Everything extra you need to buy costs more if its 4 inch too.

cookie21

First Name
Barry
I,m with Phill here, I have two Camvacs in my workshops both are excellent,I vent the exhaust outside in summer but put up with the extra noise in winter to conserve the heat

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
One of my filters? shifts a lot of air to atmosphere is an inline through the roof takes care of CA fumes and that fine stuff, yes it takes the warm air out as well but its beaut for me. The white frog mouth goes under to an industrial vac. I wear ear muffs for noise I find you cant shift a lot of air without noise.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0004.jpg
    DSCF0004.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 30

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
If you go down the route of a vacuum (HPLV) type solution then I would recommend you build a separator, as not only do vacuums fill up quickly when using the likes of a planner thicknesser due to their smaller size, but also the filters become blocked & loose a lot of suction when extracting sanding particles.
A separator will reduce these problems considerably & are well worth considering, I documented the build of one of mine here http://www.penturners.co.uk/your-tips-jigs/2939-thien-separator-build.html

With regard to Marks suggestion of housing an extractor outside of the workshop, if you have the room to build a sealable enclosure onto the outside workshop wall you could easily vent the exhaust air back into the workshop. This is an option I'm considering at the moment, my shop is heated & I don't want to push that heat outside so I'm thinking of building a lean to shed on the side of the shop & installing a duct with filters to redirect the warm air back inside. Not only will this keep me warm but will also add to the level of filtration of the dust I produce.

Great minds think alike....:winking: I was wandering around Cole's supermarket in Alice Springs with the missus, pushing the trolley:rant:
I was thinking about how to this, This is what I came up with, I would build another shed next to my shed, cut a hole in the wall, build a frame that will hold the the filters, How many 1, 2 or 4 :nooidea: The frame would have to be sealed so air/dust will not leak between the frame and wall. I get old filters from a Air Con business that are changed every 12 months a lot of them are very clean,on the she looks like new, they are about 18" X 18" X 1" I already use one on my air filter. Then on the inside of the shed have another set of filters, I think this should give you totally clean air.:thumbs:
This would be a great place to keep my compressor as well.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
How to shift fine dust two pics to atmosphere and two pics Thien Separator and referring back to Woodies also method the filter that hangs in the room over or near that filters then returns the air to your room the Microclene filter.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0002.jpg
    DSCF0002.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCF0006.JPG
    DSCF0006.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCF0004-133.JPG
    DSCF0004-133.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 59

Baldy

Fellow
First Name
Graeme
Looks good you will have to give a review when you have had a chance to use it

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Thanks Phil Graeme and Andy. Will maybe get these earplugs think I still have something simular from my days of touring on a bike. I will try and review the equipment Graeme I have the cameras but never used them for video anyhoo will need to stop eating pies or get a wide angle lens to get me and the bits onto video in my wee workshop. Must call in on you sometime for some supplies if I am out at Spean sometime Phil.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
You'd be very welcome to pop in Bob. I've never felt the need for earplugs by the way. With a chainswaw, yes - but not with a camvac.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Well believe it or not that is the Camvac and kit just arrived after me ordering in October. Have not had a chance to get it out of the box yet as I am on night shift but with a bit of luck will get to have a look tomorrow afternoon. Anyone got any suggestions of what to use for a drum that I might obtain locally at a builders merchant or any store so I can build a separator?

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Good fortune Bob that little unit should cover some of your needs bearing in mind one unit can never cover everything, chips and dust atmosphere dust etc.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).