• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Advice needed

Burt25

First Name
Ian
Can anyone explain this issue and suggest a solution. I am getting some shearing of the grain at the end of my blanks (see photo). Picture is not that clear, but its like the last 1mm of the grain has been squashed/ twisted if that makes sense? Note sure if the mandrel is causing this or is it the barrel trimmer? Any ideas? Thanks

Attachments

• 20170309_203238.jpg
    20170309_203238.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 65

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Is this a regular issue Ian? I never use a barrel trimmer because I think they can be brutal, for that reason I use a disc sander, try it yourself, just to eliminate, or not the trimmer. :thinks:

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
I have had this happen a time or two and i think it was due to the barrel trimmer not being sharp enough. I only use the barrel trimmers on acrylics now. I have set up a disc sander to do my wooden blanks :thinks:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I agree with the others - that's your barrel trimmer I would say. Having said that, I fall very firmly into the barrel trimmer camp.

If you do it right it has many advantages over the sanding method in my opinion, but the key to it is sharp cutters at all times. I made a little jig to fit on my Pro Edge, so I can touch up the cutters in seconds as often as necessary. Trimming with blunt cutters is no different to turning with blunt gouges, and they need sharpening frequently, especially as most of the time they are dealing with end grain.

Your description of "squashed/twisted" makes perfect sense - what your trimmer has done is torn and knocked over the tips of the end grain as a result of being blunt - a bit like a cornfield after a storm. Keep the cutters on your barrel trimmer sharp and you'll be fine - which by the way is much easier to maintain if it only has four blades, as opposed to the horrible ones from China which generally have six, that are impossible to keep sharp.

The best one I've found is the Eolution9 from Turners Retreat - but I grind mine a little first, so that it puts a slight concave cut on the end of the blank - which not only makes it easier to cut end grain, but also means the pen goes together more easily too.

(I hope they pay commission - that's twice I've recommended their products on the Forum today):whistling:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
First I would suspect out of rounding as you turn your blanks, easily seen if you use a caliper at the ends it will be visible, another solution then needed.

Peter.

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
I started using a disk sander after having problems with a couple of barrel trimmers, but it looks like they are these 6 sided ones from China that Phil refers to, Maybe another order from Turners Retreat is on the cards!

I would love a bit more info on this little jig you made for the Pro Edge Phil:thinks:

Burt25

First Name
Ian
Thanks for the advice guys - I will try giving the barrel trimmer a sharpen - any advice on doing that? - I assume its just the vertical faces which need a touch with a diamond hone?

Graham_C

Fellow
First Name
Graham
I've not seen this beofre, so can't comment. Great replies though, very useful information :thumbs:

Pierre

Fellow
First Name
Pierre
Thanks for the advice guys - I will try giving the barrel trimmer a sharpen - any advice on doing that? - I assume its just the vertical faces which need a touch with a diamond hone?

You hone the bevel, I use a very fine file and lay it flat, it only needs a couple of passes unless you are really blunt.

PG

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).