• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Aegean Swirl Fountain Pen

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Hi pen people.

Had a bit of fun yesterday and made this for a bit of a change.

I’d say around 99% of the pens I make these days have adornments on them such as accent finials, pocket clips and decorative rings, along with my signature logo coin and, a relatively recent addition to my offering, the laser engraved nibs.

However when I started, like a lot of makers, I made pens with no bells and whistles. Just some plastic and a nib. So yesterday I decided to make one of these more basic styles, primarily because I wanted to test how long it took me from start to finish as it’s been a while. It came in at 1hr 45. (It could have been a bit quicker if I hadn’t been distracted by Ding scoring a 147 in the Masters snooker that I was watching at the time).

This style is also very popular as, for example, lots of people don’t like clips, especially ladies who keep their pens in their bags. (The clips can be an irritation as they tend to get caught up on stuff). They are also much more affordable due to the lack of work involved (this one sold very quickly) and this is easily the most profitable pen for me to make. But I really like making the more involved style so I won’t be making many like this. It will be a bit of a one-off that I might do now and then.

Anyway this is it. I still added the finial coin so it’s recognisable as one of mine, but it’s pretty basic apart from that. I do like the blank though.

Cheers
Ash

IMG_8814.jpegIMG_8819.jpegIMG_8821.jpegIMG_8828.jpegIMG_8807.jpegIMG_8811.jpeg

Padster

Graduate Member
First Name
Paddy
Another lovely pen Ash, like that blank too.... Can't say I've ever thought about a clipless pen, what you say makes some sense but for me Murphys law says it would roll off the desk :chuckle:

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
It's a beautiful blank which makes a beautiful pen, personally I do like the adornments when used as complements...but it can also be a customer decision...and ill thought out clips or bands/accents can detract and be detrimental....its a very fine line we tread...:thinks::thinks:

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Another lovely pen Ash, like that blank too.... Can't say I've ever thought about a clipless pen, what you say makes some sense but for me Murphys law says it would roll off the desk :chuckle:
You’re spot on, the pocket clip does act as a really useful roll stop!

sutdm

Peak district (cheshire, but i'm not a footballer)
First Name
Mark
Now that is a pen! When you have a material like that it needs very little more in my opinion. I have pens made by visconti, Asc, Leonardo, Pelikan etc. All have pen clips , many have finials and most have cap bands along with finial bands. They are all obvious signs of the expertise of the pen makers and at the moment far beyond my skill. I also have three pens by Ranga (abhimanyu Grande) which are clipless and which have never rolled off my writing surface. I guess i got used to watching that right from the get go. The Ranga pens i think are wonderful examples of showing off the blank with no other adornment. I bought an Edison Collier Grande with no clip but a rollstop. It is in Jonathon Brookes Combustion and absolutely stunning, i wish in a way i hadn't put on the rollstop.......
Anyway, i've digressed again. Another example of what i aspire to Ash......
Mark