• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Alluminite Blanks

L33

First Name
Lee
Hi all...really hoping someone may be able to help...

I'm after making some pens for a few firefighters who will be retiring in a few months. I had the idea of the thin red line pen and was pleasantly surprised to see an American guy who already does this...making his own alluminite blanks too. As I'll be making the pens I'd like to make the blanks too. Of course, I could order from the U.S. but where is the fun in that :)

Does anybody know if I can buy alluminite in the UK, and if so, is the process of making a black blank with a red line sandwiched in the middle gonna be a difficult task? Always keen to learn and prefer doing everything myself, so if anybody can advise I'd be massively greatful :)

Bigblackdog

Registered
First Name
Mark
it is obviously up to you how you do these and what you make them from. I think that I would probably start by looking at segmenting them though. If you were to cast, I am not sure but I would expect that you put a piece of red sheet (say 3mm) in the block and then cast around it with the black.

For alumilite casting, you need a pressure pot, and a compressor. There are a few threads on it if you do a search, and a few good youtube videos. From those that I have turned, it does turn very nicely.

(If you were to segment it, 10mm black and 2 or 3mm red cast acrylic sheet should be readily available on ebay and should be flat and prepared. You would just need to be glued and clamped together. I got a box of samples from Colours | Parapan. You could request one of them and see whether the idea works- i got a couple of thick (20mm?) and half a dozen thin samples (4mm?), so it would test the concept.

L33

First Name
Lee
it is obviously up to you how you do these and what you make them from. I think that I would probably start by looking at segmenting them though. If you were to cast, I am not sure but I would expect that you put a piece of red sheet (say 3mm) in the block and then cast around it with the black.

For alumilite casting, you need a pressure pot, and a compressor. There are a few threads on it if you do a search, and a few good youtube videos. From those that I have turned, it does turn very nicely.

(If you were to segment it, 10mm black and 2 or 3mm red cast acrylic sheet should be readily available on ebay and should be flat and prepared. You would just need to be glued and clamped together. I got a box of samples from Colours | Parapan. You could request one of them and see whether the idea works- i got a couple of thick (20mm?) and half a dozen thin samples (4mm?), so it would test the concept.

I'll check that out too. Segmenting was my first thought. First thought was Ebony with a piece of red plastic sandwiched in the middle. But I've never used ebony before and not sure how black ebony really is...or where to get it from. My second thought was black and red plastic...possibly similar to what you mean. Acrylic sounds like an option...although i may have to do a bit of research.

Nothings ever easy :thinks:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Hi
You could also consider solid black blanks, alternative ebony which you can get in the uk. I have some I bought from Vince The Turners Workshop who's worth a call even if not shown on his site as often has stock not listed or black buffalo horn is another option and use red plastic for segmenting.
Another possible option could be a sample of black solid surface kitchen worktop if you can find some from one of the kitchen companies locally.
What about some plane wood like holly, box, lime or sycamore and dye it jet black?

L33

First Name
Lee
I'd quite happily get some black plastic and glue the pieces together...but not sure what plastic I'm supposed to use, where to get it from and how to glue it...guessing ca but just a guess. I saw a pen on Facebook where somebody (woody I think) segmented plastic pieces...looks really good. But can't find the post now. :(

Bigblackdog

Registered
First Name
Mark
perspex- acrylic sheet is readily available on ebay. If looking, you need cast acrylic, not extruded. here is an example 8MM GLOSSY BLACK ACRYLIC PERSPEX PLASTIC SHEET CAST A4 SIZE 297MM X 210MM | eBay, but there may be others at a better price. I have just bought a piece of 15mm clear from these people for a couple of quid, so sometimes you get lucky with their offcuts.

Corian is available too. Hand Turned Corian Pen in Black. New Perfect Gift! | eBay is an example of a black pen (not mine). If you cant get offcuts locally, Corian(R) Pen Blanks | Penkits UK is an option, with profits going to charity. 'BLACKBERRY ICE' Corain(R) Pen Turning Blanks | Penkits UK (black), just check your sizes.

For plastic, CA would work. Epoxy is another option, and possibly even gorilla glue. For corian, I dont know, but epoxy would likely do it.

segmenting, if done well looks excellent, as does casting. As segmenting goes, this project shouldnt be too tricky.

i bought some of these Dapetz (R) 2Pc Quick Grip Ratchet Vice Bar Clamp 4" 100mm Rapid Clamp Spreader Set: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools from the USA when I was there. They were $1 each in walmart, and i had never seen them before. I bought 8, came home and went to the harrogate show- they were on every stall for about the same price!! very handy for tasks like clamping pen blanks. Mine were unbranded, search about a bit and I am sure you will find them for a quid or so each.

L33

First Name
Lee
perspex- acrylic sheet is readily available on ebay. If looking, you need cast acrylic, not extruded. here is an example 8MM GLOSSY BLACK ACRYLIC PERSPEX PLASTIC SHEET CAST A4 SIZE 297MM X 210MM | eBay, but there may be others at a better price. I have just bought a piece of 15mm clear from these people for a couple of quid, so sometimes you get lucky with their offcuts.

Corian is available too. Hand Turned Corian Pen in Black. New Perfect Gift! | eBay is an example of a black pen (not mine). If you cant get offcuts locally, Corian(R) Pen Blanks | Penkits UK is an option, with profits going to charity. 'BLACKBERRY ICE' Corain(R) Pen Turning Blanks | Penkits UK (black), just check your sizes.

For plastic, CA would work. Epoxy is another option, and possibly even gorilla glue. For corian, I dont know, but epoxy would likely do it.

segmenting, if done well looks excellent, as does casting. As segmenting goes, this project shouldnt be too tricky.

i bought some of these Dapetz (R) 2Pc Quick Grip Ratchet Vice Bar Clamp 4" 100mm Rapid Clamp Spreader Set: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools from the USA when I was there. They were $1 each in walmart, and i had never seen them before. I bought 8, came home and went to the harrogate show- they were on every stall for about the same price!! very handy for tasks like clamping pen blanks. Mine were unbranded, search about a bit and I am sure you will find them for a quid or so each.

That's some good info...appreciate that very much.

This could be what I've been looking for.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).