• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Alpha in Snakewood

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
In running the car there are grades of petrol the life blood of running to relate this to your pen that special blank is premium Billy. To be sure African Ebony is no more stable along with many other striking timbers but as you say wait a while is worth it I dont mean after you receive it but after turning and finishing just being able to drill it is an acheivement IMHO its a mongrel to drill.

But just look at the pen so brilliant mate.

Peter.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
That is a cracker Billy, it would be such a shame if it splits. :thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Nice one Billy that is one very nice pen to be honest I have never had a snakewood pen split on me even when I first started making pens I have one in my collection that must be over 20 years old

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Presumably if it was stabilised Snakewood would be predictable ? I've never seen it so not sure if it is oily etc that may make stabilising touch and go. Seems a pity to let such a great pen possibly fall over

Wouldn't be able to stabilise snake wood, you can't really impregnate anything more than 800 kg a cube. It's the heat from the drilling that causes it to split. Some in the states claim to have perfected a method of drilling it in water but seems just to much hassle to me. Looks a lovely pen.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).