• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Alternative Tortoise shell blank

Slipnslider

Apprentice Member
First Name
Pete
Evening everyone,

I am interested in using some of the alternative tortoise shell blanks to make myself a nise fountain pen.

The material looks to me to be quite translucent what would be the best colours to reverse paint ?

Any body got some pics of what they have turned with this material.

All help much appreciated :praying:

Pete

GSteer

Registered
First Name
Greg
Good question. I picked up a couple of these blanks, saw exactly how translucent they were and then wrote off using them with a kit, planning to use them on a kitless in the future. Would be interesting to see a kit made up with one, as however I looked at it, it looks like you'd see drilling marks or the tube.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I turned this for my wedding ring 14 years ago it is very translucent and yes the tubes will most definitely need painting a light colour will lighten the finished produce and show the colours off more and a dark paint obviously will darken it so it wont look as colorful so it depends really what you want the finished product to look like either way it will look good
DSCF4040.JPGDSCF4042.JPG

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).