• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Alumilite Clear

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
I have emailed Metal Clay to ask if they will consider stocking Alumilite Clear. I also linked them to this thread, so if anyone is interested it may be worth expressing an interest here. I for one would probably order at least 4 x 7.5lt packs a year.

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
I have been reading this thread with much interest as I intend making some more pens this year using waterslide decals and casting resin and some with Les's pen dipping method.
I have made pens with the East Coast fibreglass pack of Water Clear Casting Resin and was happy with the result.
This thread has opened it up again with the talk of epoxy resin, polyurethane resin and the differences. I am confused, (not difficult for me), I had read Walter's book and ordered from East Coast Fibreglass and was quite happy with result. Are there better/cheaper results to be had ? :thinks:

View attachment 32416

View attachment 32417

take care
Don W

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Hi Don, I believe the East Coast Fibreglass stuff is a polyester resin? I have cast using that, and it works fine, but I generally make calligraphy pens out of it, which don't have the internal support of the tube, etc. I've found that the polyester resin is a bit too brittle for these, and I'm worried that they'll break (but that just be me taking a belt and braces approach).

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
It seems time for a resume about casting with definitions. OH&S data sheets etc can be a big help in deciding. Think I will stick to mostly timber.

Peter.

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
There seems to be a lot of people who use polyester resin, but we've been advised against using it as our garage is attached to the house & the fumes would permanently stink the house out! Do all the guys that use it have detached garages/workshops?

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
There seems to be a lot of people who use polyester resin, but we've been advised against using it as our garage is attached to the house & the fumes would permanently stink the house out! Do all the guys that use it have detached garages/workshops?
In fact due to not enough room in the garage/workshop! we've just converted the kids playroom that is at the back of the house into a casting/storage room!

Paul hd

Fellow
First Name
Paul
Quick update.

The Amazing Clear cast has a totally different feel now that I have mixed by volume rather than weight.
When I was weighing parts A & B the surface would have a slight tacky feel after a day. Weighing by volume it feels like glass hard after a day.

Hopefully tomorrow I will turn it and go through the grits and see if I can get a finish like the pens earlier in this thread.

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Hi Don, I believe the East Coast Fibreglass stuff is a polyester resin? I have cast using that, and it works fine, but I generally make calligraphy pens out of it, which don't have the internal support of the tube, etc. I've found that the polyester resin is a bit too brittle for these, and I'm worried that they'll break (but that just be me taking a belt and braces approach).

Thanks for that Melanie,
I did think they were a bit brittle and I did chip a large piece from the watch parts pen. I used superglue to stick it back on and it looks ok but I think I can see where I glued it :whistling:

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
Is the polyester as bad smelling & nasty as I seem to hear on the net? I was advised by one company to stay well away from it due to our garage/Workshop being connected to the house!

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The main dealer in our area has folded most users are finding the costs to do repairs etc exceed the new cost and were going out backwards.

Peter.

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Yes, the polyester does smell...strongly. Personally I don't mind the smell, but I'm sure some find it objectionable (it's strong/overpowering when you're actually casting and in the same room, but after that I find the smell OK). Why not just get a small amount and try it, maybe on a day when the family are out? The smell may linger for a couple of days, but I wouldn't think it would be overpowering for that long. And I certainly wouldn't worry too much about using it in an attached garage, as long as you keep the door firmly shut, unless someone in the family really hated the smell.

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
We have a kids bedroom above the garage & snakes (which are very sensitive to smell) in a room behind the garage, so we're not in a ideal situation! But like you suggest maybe I will have to get a small amount & try it with the doors wide open!

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
A 1 litre kit will be cheap, and you'll probably know if you're going to have a problem with the smell as soon as you open the larger bottle. I suspect that if you're going to have a problem, it will be with the snakes, rather than the children!

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
Probably will have to stick with Epoxy & polyurethane to be on the safe side, as it's not worth taking the risk with the snakes

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
I have emailed Metal Clay to ask if they will consider stocking Alumilite Clear. I also linked them to this thread, so if anyone is interested it may be worth expressing an interest here. I for one would probably order at least 4 x 7.5lt packs a year.

I've also messaged them today asking the same lol

I've just had a phone call from Stuart at MetalClay! he's been in talks with Alumilite & is planning on stocking more of the their products including the Alumilite Clear, he is hoping to have stock within a couple of weeks! He doesn't have any prices yet & I don't have any more details so if anyone is interested it might be a good idea to email MetalClay themselves for more info.

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
I've just had a phone call from Stuart at MetalClay! he's been in talks with Alumilite & is planning on stocking more of the their products including the Alumilite Clear, he is hoping to have stock within a couple of weeks! He doesn't have any prices yet & I don't have any more details so if anyone is interested it might be a good idea to email MetalClay themselves for more info.

It's on their website.

As for the smell of PR, my wife and kids moaned like hell about the smell ... and that was just showing them some cured blanks :sob::sob:

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
It's on their website.

As for the smell of PR, my wife and kids moaned like hell about the smell ... and that was just showing them some cured blanks :sob::sob:

It's the Amazing clear that they have on there website which is totally different to the Alumilite clear! One is epoxy the other is polyurethane!

I have just purchased a 1L bottle of the polyester to give it a try, so we'll see what it's like tomorrow.

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
It's the Amazing clear that they have on there website which is totally different to the Alumilite clear! One is epoxy the other is polyurethane!

I have just purchased a 1L bottle of the polyester to give it a try, so we'll see what it's like tomorrow.

My Mistake, it was the white I saw

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).