• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

An Unforgettable Day

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Yesterday at my mate Stans funeral my 60yrs a friend. The music leading up to the formal part was from the fair organ full size Stan constructed in his lounge room. His wife and our great friend Narelle had passed from cancer previously. He made the organ from the ground up including the figures he articulated to play various instruments. He made the cut out tablets ,the receiver mechanism for them, purchased these as well for tunes. Tonally he made a device to tune the pipes he made to accurate musical notes. Altogether a magical experience, the family included me in the service for which I was really grateful.

Stan grew up on a farm taught himself to work those huge steam tractor engines, they used two of them with a chain between them to clear land. In later years he remained one of the few experts around to restore these engines. He made a scale model Steam engined tractor,now in the youngest a Daughters place. He restored to showroom quality Jaguar Mark 1V, Mark V, Mark V11,Mark X, and an XK120. All of these he kept in his suburban yard. He trained himself in Electrics, Radio and Television. Made model aircraft that flew, built his own tiny engines and up to many feet across wing span aircraft.

Yesterday the sons arrived in their now property four of the Jags and fellow members of the Vehicle group came in theirs from the Jaguar Club.

He built model steam engines, track and carriages the first as a young boy with his Dad on the farm. with friends in Sydney the husband passed and Stan was the only one allowed to drive their Stanley Steamer Locomobile car (genuine).

I was the 5th Technician employed in Australia by Rank Xerox in the 60,s and as the company expanded I waited two years as Service Manager in Canberra to employ him as a Technician. We ended up with Thirteen Techs plus. Stan was the best Tech I have ever seen.

Stan cut the main windows in the lounge into big french windows, put a landing outside to remove the Organ for Carnivals etc.

Anyway I did show pics of the Organ before and in the future will go to the youngest sons place and get some more. Stan was one of my heroes and a master craftsmen in many fields each one as an expert. A rare man.

Peter.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Always a sad day when you lose someone close even if it is a friend.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).