• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Another twist mechanism question

hawkeyefxr

First Name
ken
I have made quite a few pens with the twist mechanism now but they all close up after a time at writing with them. They are reasonably stiff in their use.
About 10 years ago i mistakenly bought a Parker pen and this to did the same, i presumed it was it was because i am a leftie but my wife has the same problem with any of the pens i now make.

Is this a common thing

Sgreen

Registered
First Name
Simon
I know what he means. While writing with a pen the nib retracts. I personaly thinks this is down to writing style. My personal pen does it when I write with it (right handed) but it doesn't retract when my wife uses it (again right handed).

If there is a solution I would love to hear it

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
With all kits made in the early days there was no locking or holding the mech in the writing position inevitably the biro would retract, just when was dependant on the pressure the writer exerts on the pen and at what angle they write.

So many makers of mechs.

Peter.

hawkeyefxr

First Name
ken
I know what he means. While writing with a pen the nib retracts. I personaly thinks this is down to writing style. My personal pen does it when I write with it (right handed) but it doesn't retract when my wife uses it (again right handed).

If there is a solution I would love to hear it

Bad choice of words on my part. Yes the nib does retract. As you twist it open it comes out then retracts a small amount, this i i take is the locking part.
They are all the same kits.
I have just bought three more twist kits but of a different make so will give these a try when they are made.

As to my style of writing you may well be right. I openly admit my writing is atrocious though this would not be the cause of the nibs retracting. That came about when switching for one school to another, they want to make me write is an entirely different way, well that my excuse.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).