• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Any and all advice welcome

stiofanpadraigcrafts

Graduate Member
First Name
stephen
Hi guys i need a bit of help here. im in the process in buying a new lathe ( currently use a proxxon db250 ) so i can make better pens and move onto kitless pens. My current lathe doesnt allow me to use many of the accessories needed so i decided to upgrade. lathe aside ive been looking at different chucks etc.

I came across this Axminster Junior Chuck - Chucks - Woodturning Chucks - Lathe Accessories - Machinery Accessories - Accessories | Axminster Tools & Machinery

and the matching collets ER20 Collets for Junior Chuck - Chuck Accessories - Woodturning Chucks - Lathe Accessories - Machinery Accessories - Accessories | Axminster Tools & Machinery

I'm not sure if there is a big quality difference but ive seen full collet sets elsewhere from £30 - £70 where as these run at £10 per collet.
Other things i have on my list are a drill chuck, taps and dies relevant to making kitless pens, die holder and tap guide. Ive bought quite a few things from axminster in the past and have had no problem though there are maybe better options out there. As said any and all help would be appreciated whether it be different suppliers or tools.

Oh and forgot to mention this is the lathe i was looking at Axminster Hobby Series AH-1218VS Woodturning Lathe - Woodturning Lathes - Lathes - Machinery | Axminster Tools & Machinery

jim0505

First Name
Jim
Hi Stephen,
I went along a similar route to you, starting with the Proxxon modellers lathe, to make dolls house furniture for my grand-daughter. I then moved up to the Axminster 1218 vs, to start pen making. Initially, the bearings tightened up within a month, and it had to go back for repair, since then been ok. I don't like the tail stock too much, it seems a bit sloppy and I have had to change the thread section to tighten it up. Overall though it has done me well for the last couple of years and I am very happy with the pens I am producing. I went for a Nova G3 chuck, which gives me enough flexibility to add some useful accessories, like the Pen Jaws. I bought these as I didn't really like drilling out the blanks using other methods, obviously you need a drill chuck for the tail stock to hold your drills. I also use a morse 2 mandrel that fits the lathe together with a mandrel saver (quick change pen save).
I hope my experiences are of use, I got most of the gear from Axminster.
Regards
Jim

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
If you want to make kit less pens then get the most rigid lathe you can afford and yes, ER32 would be best if you can afford it. You don't need a full set of collets to start, just buy the ones you need.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Hard from over here to discuss the prices or compare but the Axminster lathe seems too high a price for what you get. With a require list as long as yours I would shop heavily it has a strong bargaining value in quantity. On another site years ago there was fully active guy in Donegal who really produced pens in numbers and variety. I will search back he would be a beaut source of info.

Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
A look on the net Google under Woodturning in Donegal revealed a page full will associations Wood Guild and Woodturning groups, massive sources of help mate.Most of them with phone numbers and contact E Mail. More than enough for you to get around and see for yourself and learn all the local sources. Have fun.

Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The reversing feature of the chuck is an allen headed screw through the spindle section of the chuck faced with either a brass or plastic pellet to lock the chuck to the spindle thread. One of my ancestors came from Donegal in the 1840,s so I made a sentimental visit across from Dublin a long time ago, my wifes family comes from Inniskillin about half way across in 1800,s.

Peter.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Stephen I would at lest go to ER32 collets, I first bought a ER 25 set and so oftern needed larger collet than 16 mm, so recently bought an ER 40 set.

ER20 collets 1 - 13 mm

ER25 collets 1 - 16 mm

ER32 collets 2 - 20 mm

ER40 collets 3 - 26 mm

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
My metal working lathe has an MT3 socket in the head stock and a through bore of 20mm so the ER32 was the obvious choice.

I've got an Axminster AT1416VS which is very nice but the small variable speed Jet Lathes look pretty solid. Also have a look at the small variable speed Record lathe though, you get a lot of machine for the money.

Jim

Grand Master
Personally for what it costs for the small lathe and if you have the space i would look on ebay etc, you can pick up some very good lathes for the same money .. :thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).