• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Any experience with the " we buy your car" companies?

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
My almost 90 year old MIL has finally acepted that she should give up her car and we've ordered her a mobility scooter so we need to sell the car on her behalf quickly before she changes her mind - again!

We can definitely get more selling privately but it's a hassle as a 50 mile round trip for me and 130 for her son. Had a couple of valuations and probably going to take for inspection next Monday but I've read horror stories about what they quote online and then offer on inspection knowing you've spent the time and effort to get there. Has anyone had experience of these companies?

The car is an 8 year old Honda Jazz, bought new, fully serviced and has a genuine 25000 miles on the clock. It's had a few scratches most of which have been repaired but in decent nick and excellent spec. Similar models but with 3 - 4 times the mileage are advertised at between £2900 and £3500 and on line quote was £2500 which would be fine to move it quickly but I'd be annoyed to get there and be offered a grand less. She isn't desperate for the money but I hate being ripped off. :thinks:

Any opinions would be welcomed.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I sold my SLK through webuyanycar.com. The final price was a couple of hundred quid less than the online quote but a lot less hassle than selling privately.

If it is in good order with no obvious bodywork rust/chips/scratches you should be OK. It was the red bits round the wheel arches that knocked the price down on mine.

Brother sold an old Mazda of some kind through a different firm and had similar experience.

TK woodman

Graduate Member
First Name
Tony
I'll have to watch the ad now to see if they've removed it from the small print at the bottom

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
In my case I have two elderly vehicles one 1999 Mercedes 4 wheel drive and a Daewoo 2001 2.2 litre. I am facing the fact as the sole driver the value is low so I alternate them. The Mercedes people want a heap for a tow bar the Daewoo has one. Anyway I celebrate my freedom of movement but appreciate your position.

When I shop at our nearby super mall I get a loaner mobility scooter for the long hike to the Bank on the other end of the Mall.On our big shopping days I finish fresh and fit.

Good luck with the dealing however the dealer is in the box seat.

Peter.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Thanks Walter, don't mind, in fact accept that they will always knock a bit off it's just some of the reviews are horrendous but we've made an appointment for webuyanycar.com on Monday and in the meantime I know one of the directors of another company, based at the end of The Scotswood Bridge and had a conversation with him today to confirm their interest so hopefully we can move it on at a decent price for MIL and they can still make a profit. If not I'm going to end up with it sitting on my drive trying to sell privately :pray:

It has a private number plate which I've had valued at between £400 and £500 so that gives us a bargaining chip as I can always take it off on retention if we can't get a good enough offer.

Much appreciate the help.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I don't think they buy anything over 6 years old but I may be wrong?

They'll take anything they can make a decent profit on but older vehicles need to be either sought after classics like Walters SLK or if run of the mill have to be low mileage, good condition and preferably one owner.

Bigblackdog

Registered
First Name
Mark
They'll take anything they can make a decent profit on but older vehicles need to be either sought after classics like Walters SLK or if run of the mill have to be low mileage, good condition and preferably one owner.

I thought that the whole point was that they would buy anything, and auction it. Manheim own WBAC.com. They pitch the price at a little over what a trade in might give you- the exceptions being when the dealer really wants your car to sell on- so that they have stock to run through the auctions, and you are tempted by their offer. These values are somewhere near to a trade price, so there is still room for a margin for somebody buying at auction for resale. I think that they will snap up older cars, but the values will be low.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Some resellers from new car firms have sale yards and are offering 3000 trade ins. Here the market is flooded because of the end of year new car sell outs, zero percent on them is common.

Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
As a struggling young father I bought a second hand VW Utility (unusual and seldom seen then) it turned out to be a terrible purchase. The dealer traded it in for another vehicle asked for the key to the ute after the deal was done. He drove it round to the garage behind, ran back breathless to tell me it was in very bad shape. Then I reminded him that in the presence of my wife just ten days before it was in perfect condition under the used car warranty he had given me.

It was with some satisfaction I drove the replacement vehicle away that day.

Peter.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
As a struggling young father I bought a second hand VW Utility (unusual and seldom seen then) it turned out to be a terrible purchase. The dealer traded it in for another vehicle asked for the key to the ute after the deal was done. He drove it round to the garage behind, ran back breathless to tell me it was in very bad shape. Then I reminded him that in the presence of my wife just ten days before it was in perfect condition under the used car warranty he had given me.

It was with some satisfaction I drove the replacement vehicle away that day.

Peter.

By the sound of things it is him that was in bad shape having only run from the back of the premises very dodgy indeed

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).