• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Anyone use carbide chisels for turning?

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
One of my favourite wood turning tools is the spindle roughing gouge. I tried to one on a pen blank a little while back though (as usual) and the blank kept slipping. I switched to a carbide tool and it worked so well I doubt I’ll use the SRG again for pen blanks.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Thanks for all the advice, due to my impatience I think I will get a set of carbides so I can get myself turning when I buy the lathe and bits, then save up and get a decent set of hss and sharpening system and then compare and contrast.

Want to try and keep away from tools that are too cheap would rather spend a bit more and have longevity.

That sounds like a very sensible approach Graham. The only thing I would suggest is that you buy individual HSS tools as and when you need them rather than a set. Sets of HSS tools often contain some that you will never or rarely use.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I don't mind carbide tools being slower.

I's a hobby for me, and I enjoy every stage.
For me speed isn't the most important factor.
I don't necessarily want the turning to be over in a few seconds. I want to enjoy what I'm making.

I think that 'each to their own' applies very well here.

While I'm new at pen turning, I make my living making things with my hands.

In leatherworking, for example, there is often the same argument about traditional tools V newer tools and techniques.

The key thing, in my humble opinion, is that if the tool can be used safely and gets you the result you want... it's the right tool.

I think Karl that until you try and can master a gouge and a skew chisel you are in fact probably missing out. There is a great deal of enjoyment to be had when you can produce long curling shavings and get a polished finish straight from the tool. It's very similar to making lovely thin shavings with a sharp plane.

However, we all view things differently and I'm no tool snob, I have 3 carbide tools all home made and use them when I feel there's a need. Like you it's a hobby and as time isn't really important I use what I enjoy using most and what I feel gives me the best result. I knew someone who scraped everything then started with 100g abrasive working through the grits in clouds of dust and he never could get every circular scratch out of his work but he was as happy as a pig in s**t. :ciggrin:

Likewise, I fish for trout, whenever possible with a floating line and dry fly but sometimes you need to fish along the bottom, I don't enjoy it as much but when needs must! :thumbs:

Skin-Job

First Name
Karl
Bob,
I appreciate what you're saying.

I'm also no tool snob.

I can't say I won't feel the need to pick up HSS tools. In fact, I almost certainly will...
I know me too well :)

But for the time being, the carbide tools are working well for me. I'm happy.

You can get started fast and produce really good results right away. They are a great 'gateway drug' for woodturning.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Bob,
I appreciate what you're saying.

I'm also no tool snob.

I can't say I won't feel the need to pick up HSS tools. In fact, I almost certainly will...
I know me too well :)

But for the time being, the carbide tools are working well for me. I'm happy.

You can get started fast and produce really good results right away. They are a great 'gateway drug' for woodturning.

Can't argue with that Karl.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).