• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Are suppliers a dying breed

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Where would we be if google hadn't come along? It certainly beats looking through the telephone books.. Telephone books!!!! what are they?:goesred:

The www has made the lives so much better, here I am talking through a thread on tinternet to a complete stranger. And there is nowt stranger than some of the folk on here.. :whistling:

It has opened the world to so many of us and I don't even believe that many of us would be the same without it. Just think about it! Sending a cheque through the post to someone to pay for goods.

Even worse, send one to someone on the other side of the world and then waiting for delivery.. .. Enough said I'm beginning to go in to cold sweats just thinking about life without ...

You are quite right Eamonn but its still nice to browse round the old fashioned ironmongers where you can buy just 1 screw and served by an old gent in a warehouse coat. Sadly they are very hard to find.

keith

Jim

Grand Master
You are quite right Eamonn but its still nice to browse round the old fashioned ironmongers where you can buy just 1 screw and served by an old gent in a warehouse coat. Sadly they are very hard to find.

keith

Keith, do you remember the one in Ponte, just across the road from the indoor market? I don't recall the name of the shop at the minute, but he used to have those big steps moving around his shop picking things from boxes etc .. Not forgetting the stairs to the second level of storage .. And all the staff wore those brown smocks .. :pray:

Then there was Charlie Watts Hardware at the top of Aire Street .. :goesred:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
It was Charlie Watts that I was thinking about Jim. Wonderful place that seemed to have anything you asked for and nothing was too much trouble. I can't recall the name of the one in Ponte but remember it well. Once bought a stanley ratchet screwdriver for my dad there.

nimrod

Graduate Member
First Name
Robin
I have one near me that I can buy any number I want and I can still buy Whitworth and BSF nuts and bolts, they also have a fabrication and I can go through their offcuts and buy what I want and for a small charge they will cut it to size, which saves me a lot of effort on anything over an inch in diameter.
Robin

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).