• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Are you happy with your sharpening

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I am not happy with my sharpening, but i am not happy with most of the things i do, :thinks:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I made up a very Heath-Robinson jig for my belt sander, but in the spirit of clumsysod, it works, it keeps gouges and skews nice and sharp, and most importantly I don't have money for any better! :mooney2:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I made up a very Heath-Robinson jig for my belt sander, but in the spirit of clumsysod, it works, it keeps gouges and skews nice and sharp, and most importantly I don't have money for any better!

Don't just talk, show us.
I for one am very intersted in seeing any mods that may assist and save costs, more power to your elbow for having a go.
You have my admiration for that.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Grinding template

This is a template that I have made with a piece of MDF. It has a datum line with various angles coming off it.
The angles represent the various bevel angles for woodturning tools. By holding the length of the chisel on the datum line you can see if your bevel angle is correct.
25 deg. represents skews and parting tools.
35 deg. represents spindle gouges.
45 deg. represents roughing out gouges.
55 deg. represents bowl gouges.
80 deg. represents scrapers.

I hope this is a help in sharpening. Just hang it up near your grinder for a quick check!!!

Regards
Terry

Attachments

• 013 (640x480) (450x338) (400x300) (375x281).jpg
    013 (640x480) (450x338) (400x300) (375x281).jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 30

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Just promise not to laugh
What's to laugh at, that is real ingenuity. Adapting what you already have and saving money.
I would be pleased to use it if I had a belt sander, looks like its adjustable angle too.
You have also pleased me no end making me think I have been of use as a novice at this lark and a new member.
If nothing else got a few people laterally thinking.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
You have also pleased me no end making me think I have been of use as a novice at this lark and a new member.
If nothing else got a few people laterally thinking.

I'll never turn anything again without your comment ringing in my ears: "A chef, butcher or fishmonger will stand with a steel in his hand while chatting at the counter make 5 or 6 cuts and pick up his steel up again
A wood turner will make 30,000 cuts in a couple of minutes and then complain he didn't sharpen his tool correctly?????"

Simple but powerful wisdom - thank you. :rock:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).