• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Back in Action!

Bob Ellis

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
No, I'm not new to the Forum, but pressure of work and other commitments have kept me away from the Forum and away from pen turning for nine or ten months, so it feels like I am starting again. I turned on my lathe a few days ago for the first time in ages and have now completed six pens. The first two were this Tetra stylus ballpoint in Deep Blue Pearl acrylic and this Junior Gentleman ballpoint using one of George Watkins' gorgeous blanks. This one is mini pine cones in iridescent bronze acrylic. It's the first time I have used a mini pine cone blank and it needed a bit of extra work because there were several small holes to fill before applying the finishing polish of CA glue with a final layer of Hut Ultra Gloss. However, I think the extra effort was worth it: I'm really pleased with the finished pen. The Tetra stylus has gone already: my wife stole it!

Attachments

• WP_20170207_15_08_21_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170207_15_08_21_Pro.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 44

Bob Ellis

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
My next two were both fountain pens: a TM Alpha in Turquoise Dream acrylic and a Beaufort Mistral in Thuya Burl. This is my first experience of the Alpha and the Mistral and, like others here, I am really impressed with the quality of both kits. Well done, Dan and Phil.

Attachments

• WP_20170207_15_05_34_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170207_15_05_34_Pro.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 44

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Good to see you back Bob a good start to the return.

Nicely turned Bob mate, it's like riding a bike - you never forget how to do it

May not forget but I have hurt myself three times falling off the lathe nothing like riding a bike:whistling::whistling::whistling:

Bob Ellis

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Thanks for the kind words, folks. As I sometimes say to audiences at my music gigs, don't applaud - it only encourages me! :rolling:

So, since you have encouraged me (it's your own fault), here are the other two I've just made. One is an Axminster fountain pen in Amboyna Burr. While I love the wood, I'm not sure about the kit. The plastic insert in the top needed a bit of adjustment (which only seems possible if you buy the appropriate tool) before it would click home properly on the pen. I'm also not sure how robust it will be because there is nothing to protect the exposed wood on the bottom of the cap.

The other is a European pencil in a mysterious wood which looks like Dymondwood, but is not cut on an angle like Dymondwood. The colours don't show up very well on the photo, but they are green, brown and black. If anybody recognises the wood, please let me know.

Attachments

• WP_20170207_15_09_41_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170207_15_09_41_Pro.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 30

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Adding the last two was icing on the cake for me in my mind I was saying yes yes and the better or equal comparing them, certainly the pens are uplifting with quality in the making of them.

Peter.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Good to see you back Bob, I recon you've had your bandanna tied too tight.

It's a vision at Harrogate show that will stay with me forever. :ciggrin:

Nice pens btw.:thumbs:

Bob Ellis

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Good to see you back Bob, I recon you've had your bandanna tied too tight.

It's a vision at Harrogate show that will stay with me forever. :ciggrin:

Nice pens btw.:thumbs:

Thanks, Bob. You may be right about the bandana! I always wear one when I am turning because it keeps the sweat out of my eyes and the dust and wood chips out of what is left of my hair. I also wear one when performing or teaching music, so I must remember to pack a couple this weekend, when I will be teaching some melodeon workshops at a village in darkest Worcestershire.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).