• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Back still bad

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Well my back will not let me stand for long to do any woodwork of any kind, so I found some modelling ply left over from my days making radio controlled boats. Anyway I thought I would have a play with my new Birthday present and get a little practice in on using it.
This is the first result from it obviously I still need some practice then I will move on to having a go at shading small steps comes to mind, well at least I can do something even if it is not constructive.
How many on here use a pyrography machine if so how do you transfer you images to the wood I have done the pencil and reverse and go over again but found the lines very faint and had to re draw the image to see it correctly and also tried carbon paper but it leaves the blue showing around the edge of the line and can't sand it away.

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Derek, Don't use carbon paper, it is greasy and won't rub off. You need graphite paper which does the job perfectly.
There are a few papers but woodworkscraftsupplies.co.uk are closing down and have Saral graphite paper on sale. It comes in various colours as well and I believe the Yellow is good on dark coloured woods (walnut etc.). I usually just stick with graphite colour.

take care
Don W

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Excellent work Derek,

Sympathies with the back problems..

I have a Peter child Pyro machine that was my dads, class piece of kit. I have only ever used it once and that was only to pyro a pen box lid.

I like Don's advice,:thumbs: may have to try that.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Derek, Don't use carbon paper, it is greasy and won't rub off. You need graphite paper which does the job perfectly.
There are a few papers but woodworkscraftsupplies.co.uk are closing down and have Saral graphite paper on sale. It comes in various colours as well and I believe the Yellow is good on dark coloured woods (walnut etc.). I usually just stick with graphite colour.

take care
Don W

Will find some and try Thanks Don

I have a Peter child Pyro machine that was my dads, class piece of kit. I have only ever used it once and that was only to pyro a pen box lid.

I like Don's advice,:thumbs: may have to try that.

That is the same machine I just got from the little I have done I like the control of heat and how quick it heats up and cools down so very little waiting time to change the wire may even treat myself to a second pen.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Derek I am spoiled I have a resident artist who helps me in this department with her freehand drawing skills. Perhaps a lighter touch on the carbon paper mate.

So far I like what you are doing keep us posted. I know and feel your back worries, when I think back at the way I have lifted, what I have lifted. I did learn a little on the way my friend Archimedes helped me relocate a shipping container weighing 2.5 ton using a length of steam pipe and a square block of wood to shift the damn thing twelve feet from where the slide truck dropped it off. I must say SWMBO was very nervous as I lifted the corners to get a cement block under each one.

In the fiftees I was into Orchid growing and bought really heavy Lattice hardwood already made in sections. The top section was also heavy so I jury rigged the top temporarilly with four uprights then stood the sides, my assistant bless her all 7 stone was in the middle and the top slid down in one swift movement and stopped a few inches from her head, an unforgettable experience of which I have been reminded.

Wish you well with your back mate take care.

Peter.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
After putting my back out (for the second time) lifting the laser printer this time, I managed to get it all set up and working I even got a spare set of toner cartridges with it as it is a colour one.

This evening I had a go at ironing the print onto some wood even though it was a little light it is clear enough to use as a pattern this will be alright for flat surfaces but for curves on a bowl/vase I will have to work a bit differently.

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Derek,
Woodworks Craft Supplies are closing down and have Saral paper in different colours. The yellow could be good on darker coloured woods but I just use the graphite coloured stuff. Only takes a couple of days for delivery. Hope this helps.

take care
Don W

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).