• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Baking painted tubes?

qquake2k

Fellow
First Name
Jim
I'm impatient, I freely admit that. Does anyone bake painted pen tubes to make the paint dry faster? I'm thinking a small toaster oven. Any idea what temperature to use?

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Never done it but I would presume it's the same as a car bodywork shop.

They run at around 50 to 60 deg C (120 to 140 deg F) for around 30 mins.. Neve been in a rush myself but that's what I would do..

But then it will always depend on the type of paint as well.
Look forward to other replies or suggestions.. Hope this helps..

ArtyCrafty

Apprentice Member
First Name
Nichola
If I'm doing acrylics / polyester (and sometimes even Corian) I may have to paint the tubes...and I prefer 'overkill' - insomuch that I firstly choose the blanks dominant colour (as the colour I'll paint the inside with) - or I'll mix some acrylic paint together to get a close colour match. I'll then key the brass tubes, then spraypaint (usually white) then use the colour mixed paint to overspray the tubes when the white coat has dried. - spraying is done with a standard single action airbrush. This gives me an even base colour finish. I'll leave to dry overnight before gluing in the tubes. I've looked at some of the powder coating videos on youtube and yep to powder coat them is impressive and relatively quick - but there's a lot of expense involved. For me the airbrush method works well enough and the airbrush can be be bought cheaply online as can an entire pallet of acrylic paints. If you go the powder coating route I've no doubt you'll get top notch durable results.....and if you want to sell your powder coated tubes there's a market for them.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).