• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bandsaw ? 120mm cut depth

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I've got the same as Steven. It cuts all I want to and the only thing it balks at is a log of pink ivory. Even then take it slow and it gets through.

keith

Have you tried a different blade?
A lot of hassle to change it for one piece of pink ivory, I would take my tome too but it may be beneficial to put a blade that will cope with it and more.

I don't often recommend anyone but this guy is magic Tuff Saws!, Quality Bandsaw Blades

Jim

Grand Master
Look around and see if you can find one that is from the 40s or 50s. They are much better made than today's bandsaws, and if properly cared for will go for another 80 years or so. I have two bandsaw, both 14". One is an Ohio Forge with a maximum cut of 5.5 inches and a maximum blade width of 3/8". It is about 20 years old, and did well for me for about three years. Then I inherited my dad's 80 year old bandsaw. It has a riser kit and a 12" cut capacity. I can't believe the difference in the two saws. The old Delta will take a 3/4" blade and cuts through pecan and mulberry (both very hard) like it was butter.

I keep the smaller saw set up for cutting blanks out of slabbed wood, and use the big one for breaking down logs and mulberry crowns. Almost all my wood is "found wood" that I have scavenged myself or traded for. I have a few exotic blanks, but some of the wood from around here is prettier than the exotics. But it means I have to break it down and cut it myself. I was going to get rid of the smaller saw, but decided to keep it set up with a 3/8" blade for small work and keep the big one with the wide aggressive blade so I don't have to be constantly changing blades.

My very first bandsaw was a little three wheeler, and it caused me nothing but trouble.

Sharon

The problem with these saws Sharon, is that you can't get hold of them .. :rolling: All well made for sure ... :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I had one of those 3 wheel 3" depth of cut bandsaw and when I got my Inca bandsaw I was so impressed with just over 6" depth of cut, within a few weeks I wanted more, but as I have so little space I held back from buying bigger and use a chainsaw to get the trees to a size. Whatever you buy you will always want to cut larger. Buy one that will cut what you need to cut at the quality of cut you need. Good luck.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).