• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Barrel Trimmer

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
You don't need the expense of a sander, turn a disc attach to a faceplate stick some scratch on it, you have a sander init?
I would strongly suggest you look at the tips and jigs section for lots of great ideas.
thanks

off to do some jig studying:love_it:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Not necessarily. I found trimmers would split anything brittle or course grained or in any way prone to splitting even when sharp. That's why I gave up on them and went over to using a disk sander and jig. Trimmers are by their very design trying to rip the blank away from tube by the cutting action.

Just my opinion, but the best place for them is in the scrap metal recycling bin.

Ummm, the only time I've ever experienced anything like a problem when trimming is when the wood is very punky but I just put some thin ca on before trimming and all is ok. I like to see where I'm trimming down to so the barrel trimmer is for me.

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
You don't need the expense of a sander, turn a disc attach to a faceplate stick some scratch on it, you have a sander init?
I would strongly suggest you look at the tips and jigs section for lots of great ideas.

Agree with Grump on this one. Just made one up with some 1" MDF and stuck some velcro hooks on it. I use the 6" velcro backed discs that I got from Dan and the jobs a good un. Cheap as chips n all.

:thumbs:Vic:thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Here is the sander I used to use very inexpensive the disk can be held in a chuck, screw chuck or a faceplate I use the self adhesive type disk
DSCF0713.JPGDSCF0715.JPGDSCF0717.JPG

Jim

Grand Master
I don't always use a trimmer. I cut the blanks as close as i dare to the tube then turn the shape, remove from the mandrel then trim the edges this way .. For larger tubes such as the Baron, i use the transfer punches that fit snugly in the tubes. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).