• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Barrel trimmers

Paul-H

First Name
Paul
Some of the more expensive trimmers come with a larger selection of pilot arburs. I think mine came with 7 but cost about £35, the one with the most is the one made by Woodpecker that comes with12 but typically of woodpeckers costs nearly £200 but it is a nice bit of kit with replaceable carbide Cutters.

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
I don't use a barrel trimmer I pop the tubed blanks on the metal lathe and cut the ends square takes no time at all and they are perfectly square.

Hallelujahal

Graduate Member
First Name
Alex
Been considering this little problem of getting barrels square, and trimmers seem a good way to go… but I’ve tried sanding on a disc sander with average results, and I some times get mixed results using barrel trimmers. As I don’t possess a metal lathe and can’t afford one it’s still a game of jeopardy as to whether my blanks will come out truly square. Would be interested in learning how other folks crack the problem?

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Some of the more expensive trimmers come with a larger selection of pilot arburs. I think mine came with 7 but cost about £35, the one with the most is the one made by Woodpecker that comes with12 but typically of woodpeckers costs nearly £200 but it is a nice bit of kit with replaceable carbide Cutters.
I have the Woodpecker set, you can buy with only 3 arbours.... Its bloody sharp and needs a gentle touch or it eats your wood....
I also now have a sander with parallel pin punches and it's very quick and easy to use...

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
I have an aluminium block which holds the pin punches square to the fence of my disc sander.... You just swap them over depending on what kit your using

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
I drill and tube mt blanks then turn them to round on the mandrel and just use the disk sander fence perfect results every time

Tom.1946

First Name
Tom
Been considering this little problem of getting barrels square, and trimmers seem a good way to go… but I’ve tried sanding on a disc sander with average results, and I some times get mixed results using barrel trimmers. As I don’t possess a metal lathe and can’t afford one it’s still a game of jeopardy as to whether my blanks will come out truly square. Would be interested in learning how other folks crack the problem?
I have used a bench disc sander and haven't had any problems. You just have to make sure it's square to the bed and square to the rest. I also turn the blank..

Padster

Graduate Member
First Name
Paddy
I have a jig I made that fits on my bench top pillar drill, and is used to drill the blanks, for the tubes, then trim once tubes are fitted.
I use the Axi Universal barrel trimmer came with a few arbors but I guess only really use a couple.

Padster

Antcha

First Name
Tony
Once you have your brass tube glued in and dried, set the blank up for drilling again as you did earlier. This time instead of using a normal drill bit use a forstner bit or even a flat spade bit. Just use light touches of the drilling bit until you can just see the edge of the brass tube starting to show.

Islander

First Name
Jeffery
I put the blank in the pen chuck, the barrel trimmer in a jacobs chuck then gently wind the tail stock in. So far so good!

akirk

First Name
Alasdair
I have barrel trimmers but stopped using them as they didn't seem to work hugely well - now I simply trim most of the excess with the bandsaw and then use a bench sander to remove the last bit - works well...