• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bedroom Dust Extraction

Peter-J

Apprentice Member
First Name
Peter
Further to my last post I've been doing some research on a good household vacuum with decent suction and this one may fit the bill. The Henry Xtra HVX 200A2 The You Tube reviews are very good and the additional acessories will come in handy. I would be interested in your opinion as it seems my only option. Thank you for all your help.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Looks much like the one I have, mine uses a large paper bag with a centre filter , can be used for wet (heaven forbid). I am at the pre stage now. I will have to make a catching tube for my purposes. I will use plastic water pipe, cut a channel in it . The suction tube is shortish but the unit is very light.

Peter.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
The Henry is certainly well thought of I have seen good comments on several woodworking forums about them but don't forget to build a dust separator as it will prolong the Henry and save you emptying it and cleaning/changing filters so often. Have a good holiday.

qquake2k

Fellow
First Name
Jim
My question is, how loud is it? Would it be uncomfortably loud listening to it for extended lengths of time while you're turning? Also, how much amperage does it draw? Could it possibly trip your circuit breaker when using it with your lathe? I don't know about the UK, but here in the States a lot of times the circuits in living areas are lower amps than shop/garage areas.

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
My question is, how loud is it? Would it be uncomfortably loud listening to it for extended lengths of time while you're turning? Also, how much amperage does it draw? Could it possibly trip your circuit breaker when using it with your lathe? I don't know about the UK, but here in the States a lot of times the circuits in living areas are lower amps than shop/garage areas.

Amperage should not be a problem over here I quite often have 2 dust extraction systems, compressor, air conditioning unit, lathe and lighting and radio on at the same time with no problem all off our domestic supply.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Peter,

Firstly you will need to think about how much noise you are making and how it effects your neighbors in the apartments.. While I understand that a vacuum cleaner is an everyday part of living in a house but yours will be used quite heavily and more than a normal householder would use.

So, is the floor in the bedroom concrete of wood? Both have their faults in transmitting noise at different frequencies. so don't just assume that if it is concrete it won't matter.

All of the tools you use will need to be soundproofed between the unit and the floor to reduce the transfer of the noise through to other apartments. That could easily be done with carpet underlay or 50mm polystyrene sheet placed under wooden ply of blockboard to give a good surface to stand your tools and equipment on.

As for the vacuum unit identified, I have used one and they should be good to take most displaced dust and clean up after the wood turning session. However it won't be any good to collect the dust at source when the turning is being carried out. That needs to be either a high volume fan or a high vacuum unit that would take an 100mm Dia pipework.

I would also make sure that any adjoining room has a "air lock" between the doors and the workshop so as to prevent fine dust escaping in to the other rooms of your apartment and also in to other apartments as well.
This could be done by making an overlapped plastic sheet that has a velcro seam down the sides to reduce dust passing. ( I noticed a ready made one that decorators and builders use in Aldi last week)

Whatever you do, don't under estimate the concerns that its not the dust you can see its the dust you cant that will cause you health problems. (Google PM 2.5 dust health risks) Its not just industries that are responsible, we all are.

The most important thing is to eliminate the dust at source, putting a mask on isn't really the best option but a good back up, neither is the room filters that are very good but they are only taking out the dust after its passed your body and some on it in your lungs on the way through.

A chap called Bill Pentz has done allot of research in to filtration and is considered to be one of the best pieces of workshop dust extraction knowledge out there. not sure if its up to date but the theory is brilliant. Check his site out below.

Dust Collection Research - Dust Collection Basics
Take a look at the links below for ideas.

Omni Dust Cyclone ICE workshop vacuum pre filter separation wood dust powder with internal cyclone enhancer: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
SIP 65 Litre Dust Collector - 01932 - SIP UK
Record Power DX1000 Fine Filter 45 Litre Extractor - Norfolk Saw Services

I agree, however in the UK we use 240v and the loading is not the same issue that 110v has.

However allot of new installs and any modification work to the latest 17th edition electrical regs are reducing the ring mains down to 20A loading. (Was 32A) so it may not be a problem to allot of oldies on here but I can see it being a problem in a 100 years or so time.. but that won't bother me then:face:

Hope it all helps Peter, happy reading on your return home after your hols..:funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).