• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Benefits of a Fingernail Grind for pen turning?

Joe.B14

Apprentice Member
First Name
Joe
Hello all,

I currently use a Robert Sorby standard (45 degree) grind spindle gouge, however I wanted to know if there is any big benefits to using the Fingernail grind spindle gouge version for pen turning?

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
My advice would be to have a couple of spindle gouges. One being a deep flute with a fingernail grind. Another like you have which probably has a shallower flute and a less acute grind. To briefly explain the difference a shallow flute has more meat left on the tool under the cutting edge so is more sturdy when taking cuts that go deeper into the workpiece. You can perform more fine detail work as a result. But these shallow flutes don’t really favour fingernail grinds so much, but you can get a swept back grind if you need to get into tighter areas.
Generally the fingernail grind suits a deeper flute and is slightly more versatile for beginners, but can create more chatter if taking deeper cuts as there’s less material on the tool.
There is a whole science and entire books on this topic, and some very experienced folk on here, but I think most would agree that a selection of options, built up over time, is the way to go. You’ll find your favourites and naturally reach for them after a bit of practice. You may even end up with your own grinds depending on how you sharpen your tools. It’s fun to experiment a little too.
Cheers
Ash

Joe.B14

Apprentice Member
First Name
Joe
My advice would be to have a couple of spindle gouges. One being a deep flute with a fingernail grind. Another like you have which probably has a shallower flute and a less acute grind. To briefly explain the difference a shallow flute has more meat left on the tool under the cutting edge so is more sturdy when taking cuts that go deeper into the workpiece. You can perform more fine detail work as a result. But these shallow flutes don’t really favour fingernail grinds so much, but you can get a swept back grind if you need to get into tighter areas.
Generally the fingernail grind suits a deeper flute and is slightly more versatile for beginners, but can create more chatter if taking deeper cuts as there’s less material on the tool.
There is a whole science and entire books on this topic, and some very experienced folk on here, but I think most would agree that a selection of options, built up over time, is the way to go. You’ll find your favourites and naturally reach for them after a bit of practice. You may even end up with your own grinds depending on how you sharpen your tools. It’s fun to experiment a little too.
Cheers
Ash
Hiya Ash,
Thank you so much for this! Really appreciate your thoughts and actually it has really helped my understanding of the tools and my decision too. As it is I actually already have a deep flute (bowl) gouge with fingernail grind and I can totally see what you mean that they can work well. So with that in mind and your thoughts, I think I will stick with what I have for now then (deep flute fingernail & standard grind shallow spindle) and yeah see how I get on from there :)

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I'm not sure I can think of many reasons NOT to have a fingernail grind on a spindle gouge to be honest. A standard 45 degree grind on a bowl gouge is sometimes handy, particularly for getting into the bottom of a bowl, but spindle gouges, which are also known a detail gouges, are much better at detailing when they have a fingernail grind in my opinion.

Joe.B14

Apprentice Member
First Name
Joe
I'm not sure I can think of many reasons NOT to have a fingernail grind on a spindle gouge to be honest. A standard 45 degree grind on a bowl gouge is sometimes handy, particularly for getting into the bottom of a bowl, but spindle gouges, which are also known a detail gouges, are much better at detailing when they have a fingernail grind in my opinion.
Thank you :) Definitely something for me to think about :)

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Yes I agree. My smaller spindle gouges are all fingernail grind.