• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bespoke Pen - first steps. Please don't laugh (too much).

RobR

First Name
Robert
So after having played at cutting threads in various things, and buying some stuff, here's my first attempt (not complete, obviously) at turning a body. M14x1 cap thread, M10x1 section thread with a BI 10mm section sleeve on a Kirinite blank.

Now I have questions (so many questions!).

1. Next step is to mount on a Mandrel and finish the body, correct? Can I make this myself from Delrin? Phil's OOS right now.
  2. Tool advise for Kirinite. I had lots of chipping. I had most success with a sharp skew, and least with carbide. Any pointers welcomed!
  3. Ditto lathe speed. I ran quickly with a skew which seemed to give me the best results.
  4. Shaping seems to be hard, and I got lots of places where I dug into the body. Thoughts?
20240202_135656.jpg

sutdm

Peak district (cheshire, but i'm not a footballer)
First Name
Mark
Looks like you're making progress there..... I've experimented with various methods but i have found that using various parts of a finger nail grind spindle gouge and taking light passes results in fewer dig ins. I might be sharpening my skew at too acute an angle but i find it can suddenly cut very aggressively in resins.

RobR

First Name
Robert
Thanks both.

Looks like you're making progress there..... I've experimented with various methods but i have found that using various parts of a finger nail grind spindle gouge and taking light passes results in fewer dig ins. I might be sharpening my skew at too acute an angle but i find it can suddenly cut very aggressively in resins.
Yes, I was definitely getting a few aggressive cuts that nearly ran away from me. Seems that fast and light is the order of the day.

Answered my own question about the Delrin mandrel. Not unless you want to lose the threaded section, at least not the way I did it. :2cry:

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
In answer to your questions my take is:

1) yes you do need a mandrel and when I started I made mine out of resin (kirinite or anything else I had lying around). It’s fine when you’re starting off and experimenting and it’s fairly easy to make a new one. Once you have the shape of it nailed down then you can make one in aluminium or preferably brass. Aluminium is easier to turn on a wood lathe but brass is very possible too. I made all my first brass mandrels on my wood lathe - just buy rod that is close to your desired finished diameter, or you’ll spend ages turning it down to size.

2) 3) 4) My advice with cutting anything on a lathe is to have the speed as high as you can that still feels safe to you, (your instinct is your friend here), and then use light cuts with sharp tools.

Always start from the edges and work towards the centre of the work to avoid chipping. This is very important.

The half inch HSS skew is my favourite tool as it’s very flexible. You can use it to slice, scrape and form. By ”form” I mean you can lay it flat on the tool rest and push it into the workpiece and it will remove material the same shape as the tool (we’re usually at the edge of the work here, not in the centre 😊).

By having it flat on the tool rest it makes it similar to a negative rake and it’s almost impossible to get a catch this way.

So with something like kirinite I do the following:
1) forming - remove the excess by pushing into the workpiece at intervals along the tool rest. Start at each end and work towards the centre nibbling away a few mm at a time. This is a quick way to get close to the finished diameter.
2) scraping - then use it as a scraping tool to get the final shape and diameter. I hold it at the same 90 degree angle but now slide it back and forth across the workpiece rather than pushing it in. Again start at the ends and work in.

Tip - I have a slight convex curve from just beyond the middle to the heel of my skew. I still have a flat area creating a right-angle at the toe end. The best way I can describe it is a sort of elongated J shape and I only use it for pen turning. I use the toe end for forming cuts and the rest of the blade for scraping, as it’s less aggressive than having a straight edge all along. It works for me at least.

Cheers
Ash

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
A good start but still a way to go. There are tool chatter marks on the blanks which need to be removed.
Ash’s advice is sound. Don’t give up, we’ve all been there. Your next one will be so much better.

RobR

First Name
Robert
Thanks Ash & Bill.

Ash,

That's great information, thank you. Starting from the edges and moving in is very helpful, because I definitely wasn't doing that.

Trying to visualise your skew shape. Once I'm in front of my pc I'll draw a picture to make sure I understand.

Thanks again.

RobR

First Name
Robert
So, finished it is not, and perfect it most definitely is not (my wife says that it's like me - chunky, and I haven't plumped up the courage to part the ends off yet) but it's starting to look a bit pen-like. I need to make the section, and drill the cap a smidge more.

20240205_141212.jpg
20240205_141137.jpg

Thank you all for the helpful comments - more to come.

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
So, finished it is not, and perfect it most definitely is not (my wife says that it's like me - chunky, and I haven't plumped up the courage to part the ends off yet) but it's starting to look a bit pen-like. I need to make the section, and drill the cap a smidge more.

View attachment 51731
View attachment 51730

Thank you all for the helpful comments - more to come.
Nice clean threads!