• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Black Ebonite Fountain Pen

OscarHallStudios

First Name
Oscar
A simple, classy pen for a classy lady. Black Ebonite, mothers day edition.

I'm experimenting with different barrel shapes for posting purposes. I knew that posting was important for this one so I tried this funky steep tapering. The awkward thing is that the barrel should go past the threads and ideally post at the entrance to the cap instead of at the threads. Since the difference in diameter is small, and the cap should post deeply, this requires a sort of awkward tapered shape. It looks more normal on pocket pens, and I intentionally made it look more like a sudden step in this design. Making a pen post is awfully awkward and I would like to stop bothering with to be honest, but lots of people like it. It adds a boatload of complexity to the overall design.

posted.jpgcapped.jpgcap-off.jpgin-hand.jpg

Mohan

Apprentice Member
First Name
Garimella
Nice shape. I made one in Indian ebonite, which cannot be posted . What’s the Tap and Die size used Oscar ?

OscarHallStudios

First Name
Oscar
Nice shape. I made one in Indian ebonite, which cannot be posted . What’s the Tap and Die size used Oscar ?
Hi Garimella, thanks. This is an M12x.8 cap with a size 5 bock nib, which uses an M9x.75 connection to the barrel. I would love to try a variety of different ebonites in the future. Some of the pens I see coming from indian ebonite are really fantastic looking.