• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Blank problem

mikeh

First Name
Michael
hi
decided to drill out some acrylic blanks i received from dans.dilled the first 2 no problem.but the third one justed exploded.i drilled with 7mm pilot first then drilled for omega roller.i have drilled loads of acrylic blacks and this is the first time this has happen.any ideas what went wrong:sob::thinks:

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
What sort of acrylic was it? My guess is polyester and because they are very brittle extra care is needed. What speed were you drilling at? For polyester I wouldn't drill at more than 400rpm or the slowest your lathe or drill will go. Personally I wouldn't drill a pilot that big. Use a centering bit instead. I have found that if a pilot hole is a bit big, when you go you the larger bit it can grab on and the force of it can be too much for the blank.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
I myself never drill a pilot hole, for the reason Ray stated, just go in slow with the right size bit. It sounds like your bit could have snatched Michael. :thinks:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I felt your pain but it happens, after the event is impossible to locate faults, did you check if it was glued well?

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).