• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Blind veterans association

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Just got back from Llandudno where I called into the Blind Veterans Association to meet my two old mates Bill Mooney and Woody who were there this week teaching people how to turn pens.
I stayed for a couple of hours just looking at what was being done for our ex service folks and came away humbled. There are many people in this country who want everything for nothing and refuse to contribute towards society in general. Today I witnessed blind men and women being taught to do the basic every day tasks that we take for granted. There was not a hint of a hard done to attitude. They tackled all their tasks with humour and a smile. The look on the guys face who was proudly showing off the first pen he had turned to all the staff was amazing to witness, it turned me to tears.
To Woody and Bill who spend most of their retirement making pens to sell for this establishment I salute you.

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
Hi Keith, it was our pleasure to meet you & show you round & thank you for the nice donation you made. We draw inspiration from each other & the humour is great. We also had Chris, Ted & Bob from H4H teaching pole lathe turning & draw knife work with Chris. Scroll saw work with Bob & Ted doing bespoke programming for the CNC router carver.
The looks of joy on the members faces at completing their woodworking tasks is tremendous. I sometimes forget I'm one of them. A great week.:thumbs:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Sounds like you had a great day with a great bunch of people.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).